latest GWW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys, latest one is a real steve maskery issue again.

glad to see the results of the chair steve. is it as strong as it looks???

thought about the sine bar. would it not be better to drill holes for the "dowels" and then cut the shape rather than do it the way you did???
otherwise it is a good solution to the problem

and the latest american woodworker has some interesting tips in it.

paul :wink:

Hi Paul

When I opened GWW and saw Steve's sine bar article I cast my memory back to the day that Steve used my Jet SuperSaw as the prop for the photographs.

IIRC, we even used my camera! Hang on a minute, I even took one of the photographs!! :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":1wcz2qoy said:
Hi Paul

When I opened GWW and saw Steve's sine bar article I cast my memory back to the day that Steve used my Jet SuperSaw as the prop for the photographs.

IIRC, we even used my camera! Hang on a minute, I even took one of the photographs!! :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Well if that chap can get his royalties for creating the organ refrain in WSOP then I reckon Steve must owe you a beer :wink:

Newbie_Neil":1guprotk said:

:D
Yes indeed! And my original article did say Thank You , honest! I'll buy you a pint :) And how's that desk coming on?

Paul - The chair is smashing, thanks. Very strong. OK not pretty, underneath, but it allows designs that are not possible with conventional joinery. I actually think it's the finest piece I've ever made.

I don't quite get your point about the sine bar. I did drill two holes and then bandsaw out the shape. Isn't that what it says? I'll have to find my copy and read it again.

Oh and by the way, I know about the ladder analogy and the ratios business. It went to print before I could proof-read it. I dare say we'll get letters :?

It's my 10th anniversary edition, (which I think is why Nick has featured me so prominently, Thanks Nick!) and I also think it is the last issue published by Future. So it's quite fitting to go out with a bang. Here's to hoping GW goes from strength to strength in new hands. I'll certainly do what I can to ensure that is the case.

sorry steve it was late, what i was thinking about was whether you actually fitted the "dowels" first. to ensure that they are in the correct place.

certainly the photos imply you fitted the dowels after cutting to shape. :cry:

anyway it works, what more do we need?

Ah, I see what you mean. I drilled, bandsawed then glued in the brass anvils. I didn't invent this, apparently it's common in engineering, so as I was copying an existing one, I was confident it would work.

ah we both missed the point!

i had not properly realised that you had left so much wood around the brass dowel, i guess that is what worried me, because you need the support beyond 180 degrees. to ensure that it is properly supported and cannot move.

anyway it's nice

Steve Maskery":3jj8ynh8 said:
I also think it is the last issue published by Future. So it's quite fitting to go out with a bang. Here's to hoping GW goes from strength to strength in new hands. I'll certainly do what I can to ensure that is the case.

Do we know who the new owners are ??.

gardenshed":129x9qb5 said:
Do we know who the new owners are ??.

Until the deal is signed - and the last I heard it wasn't - no announcement is being made. Of course I hear rumours, which I'm not going to repeat, obviously, but as to what is actually known, the answer is No.

In this issue Nick makes reference to the sale, but that is all.

Steve,

It will be interesting to hear who the buyer is.

I was very pleased with Andy King's positive reveiw of my third book.

David Charlesworth

Back