Latest effort

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
A good friend gave us a porcelain leaf for our 5th wed anniversary at the end of Feb. That's what you get for 20 years of obeying SWMBO [:))]

I really liked the leaf and thought that one would look nice in wood. I sorted out a lump of leylandii and started. This is what was in there

The 'lump' was anything but round and the sticky out bits really concentrate yer mind at 1500 rpm! I would have liked to get it a bit thinner, but as it's turned on the end grain it would have been too weak. After turning the approximate shape I attacked it with my Axminster flexi drive with a small tungstan rotary rasp fitted. All carefully sanded, pyrographed and finished with hard wax oil.

Well done John, looks very nice =D> =D>

I knew there was a use somewhere for Leylandii :lol: I find it burns well on the woodburner unless you turn something pretty like a leaf.

Regards Keith

Well Keith, turnin and burnin brings back memories of jet engines as opposed to wood!! From my time on aircraft in the R.A.F.

As far as the domestic situation? We have an open fire here and I won't burn it. Far too much resin to burn and it ain't recommended for log burner inserts here either.

As long as it's good and dry it turns well and you can get a very good finish on it, but it may still move and show cracking if you go across the heart! This one feels like a piece of silk

The teaspoon is there to show the size and it's the ideal for a few nuts in it whilst watching the haunted fish tank!!

lanemaux":3sg6t7p0 said:
Well Jonz , as a true son of Canuckia I think I can truly say ... well bloody captured! Nice enough just the turning , but the details make it for me. Fine job amigo.

I wondered what I was being accused of there mate?? I looked it up and I think it's OK :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you :p :p You too Mark!!

Something that I have wanted to do for years is to make a stand fo my silver Waltham pocket watch. The other day I was asked if I could make one for a member on another forum, so I decided to do mine to see what it's like? English oak that was given to me in the shape of a TV cabinet!! I've made loads of bits with it and still have quite a lot of it left.

Well, not quite finished yet. Has to be sealed and waxed

The front ring clips onto the main by a tiny dovetail type ridge cut in both. The original idea was to make the ring a fraction oversize, cut a slot in the bottom of it with 2 small wooden pins to squeeze together and pop it onto the top, but the ring is the correct size so that it clips over the main body anyway :shock: :shock:

Sorry that the photos are slightly out of focus, but I was so chuffed with the result an all!! :oops: :oops:

I forgot to say that the female of the 'dovetail' is on the main body. I used both of those to finish the ring's face and the main body's back. Just as well my Jacob's chuck jaws are good!!

That's another nice piece of work John, well done again =D> =D> =D>

I can imagine a few tense moments cutting the dovetails :lol:

Regards Keith

The 'dovetails aren't like a straight jobbie. They are cut with a skew chisel

The ring is about 1/4" thick and the dovetail is about 1/8" deep, so apart from the actual diameter it isn't a big problem. I was just worried that the chuck would hold it while I was finishing the face side of it

This is where it fits in to

When I make the second one it will not be the same idea. It's just too tricky.

Back