Latest effort from the donated Walnut logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally plucked up the courage to have a go at one of the main parts of the logs I was given in July.
Be gentle with me as this is only my fourth successfully completed bowl. I realize that I need a lot more practice with finishing and maybe need to invest in a bowl sanding tool as getting the inside smooth took ages.
walnutlarge1.jpg

walnutlarge2.jpg

walnutlarge3.jpg

walnutlarge4.jpg

Positive and negative comments welcome as both can be very useful.

Attachments

• walnutlarge1.jpg
    walnutlarge1.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • walnutlarge2.jpg
    walnutlarge2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,026
  • walnutlarge3.jpg
    walnutlarge3.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1,026
  • walnutlarge4.jpg
    walnutlarge4.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 1,026
Well done,,,that looks real nice..especially the "knot",,, looks to me that you don"t need any more special tooling made for your lathe ,,,,,,,

The grain pattern looks amazing, walnut or not. I also like the foot but not quite sure if the rim would look better left plain.

Thanks for the comments. I was unsure about the rim but thought it needed something just to break up the plain outside a little.
I am pretty sure it is walnut. It came from the same log as this bowl.
first-bowl-t72695.html

Here is a few pics of the logs when I got them. The tree surgeon who gave me the logs said they were walnut.
advice-needed-re-seasoning-cutting-up-logs-t72306.html

I must admit the bark on the logs does look more like Beech than walnut and the heartwood is a lot lighter then the walnut logs that come up on google pics

I love the knot, it is that kind of feature I really like. I am yet to try my first bowl, my first sack of blanks is on its way, but my view of your lines is that they distract rather than add to the natural beauty, I am thinking to add lines on plain wood as opposed to feature wood. this is meant to be constructive and helpful to me as well as you - adding your photos is a fantastic way for beginners like me to learn. I hope I can come close !
Regards Terry

I reckon it COULD be walnut - I've got some pretty much that colour, and I know 100% it's walnut, as I've eaten walnuts from it.
I'll try to get a photo.

PS, I like what you've done. :)

walnut and chestnut do look fairly similar in log form, also on logs of that diameter there wouldn't be much of the dark heartwood, the sapwood on English walnut is pale, so it could be that...

Thanks for all the comments. Maybe I will do the other half of this piece without a rim. The pith was off centre in the log so the other half is much deeper. Lets hope I can get it on the lathe safely as its a heavy lump of wood. I will definitely be supporting with the tail stock until its more balanced.

Walnut, especially English walnut, comes in all colours and grains from very pale to very dark. It is also a fairly fast growing tree, I recently had some wood from a 20 year old tree that had grown to 40' in someone's back garden. The very dark walnut that is often for sale is usually American black walnut.

Pete

With that spalting and the knot and the generally nice figure in the grain, personally I would have avoided the rim. The overall shape of the bowl is well done for your fourth attempt so congrats. The foot is unusual but I rather like that too. I think what over-rides all else for me is that the rim is "fighting" with the natural quality of the grain...hence a simpler finish might help to celebrate its beauty.

All in all....well done....for No 4 that's a cracker :)

Back