Last one.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes i think this is me last Goblet and piece for a while,finished piece that is.
I've got to start getting on with some bowls etc for the meths drying treatment.Got quite a few to do :D
So i have had a bit of a tidy up again got rid well used some smaller pieces of wood.
Found some smaller pieces of the Spalted Beech or Elm that i had and turned this one.
8-1/2" tall x 2-1/4" dia bowl.
Finished with sanding sealer and wood wax.
Any critisism good or bad excepted.

Paul.J.

Said you was gettin' practice didn't I. It's the only way to learn, practice, practice, and then a bit more practice.

Nice shape, now we need to get the stem thinner, so that it tapers towards the top. :twisted:

Well done Paul, like it.

Don't understand 'meths drying treatment' this something new?

Thanks Tam.
The stem was as thin as i dared go,tried a smaller one earlier using the same wood and it broke :cry:
TEP Wrote
This is something i picked up from Chas who as been doing it for quite a while.Also boiled wood.Haven't tried that yet though.
Just a quicker way of drying green wood out,which is all i have,so thought i'd give it a go to try and speed things up a bit.
Done a couple of pieces not so long back which are on here.
There is an article that Chas put on here telling you how to do it.
Paul.J.

TEP":kdd21tub said:

See here for method

Watch wall thickness, do not be tempted to rough turn too thin, if doing something like Green Cherry, they can go as much as 15mm out of round on a 200mm dia. bowl.

Thanks Paul, know what your on about now.

Chas, thanks for the link, now that I have read it I believe I have heard about this method before, don't use it myself though.

I generally rough turn all my bowls, then seal them with PVA/water 50/50 and let them dry naturally under cover. Very seldom lose any, but the 'Meths method' does sound as if it may be quicker.

TEP":1wn57d14 said:
I generally rough turn all my bowls, then seal them with PVA/water 50/50 and let them dry naturally under cover. Very seldom lose any, but the 'Meths method' does sound as if it may be quicker.

Tam, average is 18-21 days from soak to below 10% moisture, this is from freshly felled summer timber, some green stored for a few months come down in as little as 14 days.

Latest posts

Back