Kreg Workbench - thoughts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraymtb

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the kreg workbench, 2x4s joined with pocket screws and an MDF top? What is your verdict?

I need to find something to sit my lathe on at my new house next month. I had the idea of extending a bench across the back of the garage and building the router in, a bench vice and also sitting the lathe on one end?

Need it to be easy, cheap and quick. I realise it's not a Roubo and hand planing large boards isn't likely. More likely I'll be doing small pieces to complement the lathe work, shop furniture and the like.

I had a look at the build video on youtube. It looks good enough for light use. I've not used the standard Kreg jig on 2x4's so I've no idea how stable the joint is.

It'd be just as quick to use butt joints on the horizontal pieces and screw through to the legs. Either way, I'd double up the 2x4's for the legs to get a bit more stability.

I made my workbench out of 4x2 CLS for the legs 3/4 ply top (on which a screwed 6mm MDF as a sacrificial top) and finished it off with a soft wood lip, it has an end vice and a front vice, I modelled it on Norm Abrams bench, with a few modifications, here's a link to that bench build on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJjrB4SvMWg

I didn't use my Kreg jig.

HTH

Baldhead

If I understood you, I wouldn't build a router into a bench that goes across the end of the room (garage) either.

You'll be forever cursing when you want to run a long bit of stock through and find it doesn't fit and you can't relocate the router to give more infeed/outfeed clearance.

I suppose you might put a catflap in, aligned with the bench top ;-)

Kreg screws have their place, no doubt, but for a bench I'd go with lag bolts and glue.
(Or carriage bolts if you want to be able to dismantle it). Doubling the 2x4s isn't a bad idea.

So long as it's tough and strong, it should be fine?

My workbench is several layers of 18mm MDF on a strong frame- very heavy and solid, and I'll happily drill holes in the top of it, if needed for securing things.

It now has a rather nice patina of linseed oil and holes :)

Back