kreg pocket hole plug cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david123

Established Member
Reaction score
I see that in the Kreg news letter that they have a new pocket hole plug cutter. Looks interesting. I usually only use the Kreg pocket hole jig in places that aren't on show, but would be nice to match the grain of the wood that you are working with on the project. I know I could cut (and do) cut my own dowels, but having watched their vidio I may be interested.
Any views

Depends if you have the material to spare I guess. Plug cutters waste a lot of material. I'd go for a dowel and then flush trim, but then again I probably wouldn't have pocket holes on show on anything important! :)

I had to use plugs recently, on something in the workshop so nothing important.
I made a rough and ready dowel cutter from a scrap of wood and a sharp chisel, used a scrap of matching wood for the dowel stock (about 2 foot long) then used a flush cut saw to cut the plug once inserted. cut the dowel flat again and used the scrap as another plug. took me minutes to do and worked perfectly with a very small amount of waste. don't waste your money on it.

Yes I did see the trend cutter but unlike the Kreg it doesn't have a dedicated guide the Kreg guide can be used with the standard pocket hole jig. Alrough I only use the jig for unseen areas it would be nice to cover them with the same wood that was used for the project. I always have some scraps from whatever I am making.

Hi Nov
Thanks for that.
I have been making dowels for quite a long time. Recently I made 48 of these for a plate rack.

It was the ease of using the jig for small ready to use small dowels (I suppose it would be best to look up the Kreg video on line) using the same wood and selecting the best match.

Attachments

• IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 73
Can I have a link to the kregg plug cutter as well? sounds interesting

Back