Knickers! sorry… nickers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkman

Established Member
Reaction score
My combi plane is missing one.
Any one know where you can get them or what's the best material to make them from?
They must wear out and need replacing surely.

Old jigsaw/hacksaw blades ore often used to make small blades, for marking knives and the like. Could a bit of one of these be ground and shaped to fit?

St James Bay Tool Co do a whole raft of Stanley ones (callng them "slitters" for some reason). Dunno, never worn one out yet and if they're missing usually the screw is too, so I consider them permanently nickerless. I suppose if I was making one and didn't have anything that looked suitable I'd be wondering if GFS came in thin enough section.

Cheers, Alf

Odd - I looked at Bob's list and assumed the slitters were, well, slitters.
Have some blades winging their way from him at the mo.

The design of most nickers is so awful that, even if you get them working well (which usually means filing or grinding most of the nicker away because they are too long), you will almost certainly have problems ensuring that they are lined up with the blade (there's no sideways adjustment on them unless you insert bits of paper or card). I think most people conclude that they are a waste of time. You'd probably be better off using a combination of a cutting gauge and knife and forgetting about the nickers in my view.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Its an 050c. Alf's point about the screw could be the deal breaker here as it will have some wierd imperial thread size. Cool links though.

I think the marking knife approach will be better

I seem to remember I got a couple for my 405 from either Clico, or Clifton, quite a few years ago now. I suspect any of the retailers who stock Clifton planes should be able to help

Andy

dedee":z3dvqlvx said:
I seem to remember I got a couple for my 405 from either Clico, or Clifton, quite a few years ago now. I suspect any of the retailers who stock Clifton planes should be able to help

When I spoke to Clifton about them they pointed out that there is quite a bit of variation in the size and shape of nickers between the different makes and models of planes - and some of the patterns changed over the life of the plane - so their's won't necessarily fit.

Paul

honestly, I'd save your money Milkman and your time. Those stanley 50 nickers are more trouble than there worth.

but....probably won't believe me. :lol:

Hmm, a 50c? Hard to tell from the diagram I have but I think that's a bit of an oddball isn't it? P & M? Looks like it's adjustable for height? Worth replacing in that case, but you're almost certainly looking at a DIY job - maybe re-tapping the threads for a screw you can still get hold of if necessary?

129fs3039678.png

Cheers, Alf

Who really needs to get hold of some of these plastic-handled combis!

Alf":2x7azmdf said:
Hmm, a 50c? Hard to tell from the diagram I have but I think that's a bit of an oddball isn't it? P & M? Looks like it's adjustable for height?

Well spotted, Alf. Here's a picture of one

record%2050c.jpg

The nickers fit on the end of the main body and sliding section and, I believe, adjust up and down, so they are quite different from the usual type of nickers. I seem to remember that when this plane was introduced some commentators said that the nickers felt a bit awkward because they started cutting before the skates had any significant contact with the work, so they took some getting used to. However, I've never used one so can't speak from personal experience.

Paul

my mistake. Thee the adjustable height ones. There ok. I got mixed up with the regular 50 types.

Paul Chapman":3j2ze0qo said:
I seem to remember that when this plane was introduced some commentators said that the nickers felt a bit awkward because they started cutting before the skates had any significant contact with the work, so they took some getting used to.
Mmm, I was thinking about it last night (god, I so need a life...) and wondered about that. I'm impressed Record did actually try to improve the design of them though.

Jake, personally I blame Record for their terrible habit of using the same numbers and just tacking on different letters here and there. Tripped me up more than once. #-o

Cheers, Alf

Alf":10gofrts said:
I'm impressed Record did actually try to improve the design of them though.

I agree, it was a very good try. Of all those I've seen, I reckon that the nickers on that #55 of yours were about the best. Now if only someone could come up with a design that allowed adjustment in-and-out as well as up-and-down, we would have a very good design. But as hardly anyone makes multiplanes anyway, I don't see that happening.....

Paul

Paul Chapman":2q5ikd3h said:
(Snip) Now if only someone could come up with a design that allowed adjustment in-and-out as well as up-and-down, we would have a very good design. But as hardly anyone makes multiplanes anyway, I don't see that happening.....

Paul

Yeah.....not very likely..... :wink:

Rob Lee":2flw1iy2 said:
Paul Chapman":2flw1iy2 said:
(Snip) Now if only someone could come up with a design that allowed adjustment in-and-out as well as up-and-down, we would have a very good design. But as hardly anyone makes multiplanes anyway, I don't see that happening.....

Paul

Ooooh another top secret Veritas on it's way \:D/

Rob Lee":12dds5fu said:
Paul Chapman":12dds5fu said:

Paul

Now, how are we supposed to take that, I wonder :-k :-k

Hopefully a nice surprise on the way :-k

Paul

oh bum, its a 50 not 50c. 50c is the spare blades that I mistakenly got for my 50. At which point I looked one up and realised how different they are.

The old hacksaw blades are still out in front as preferred solution.

Back