kity saw router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midge29

Established Member
Reaction score
hia all. going to pick up a kity 419 table saw this weekend that i just brought,it has the side extension tables and was thinking of building this into a mobile unit so i can move around my small workshop. was also hoping i could turn the extension into a router table , has anyone done this to the kity 419 extension table, looking for some ideas, thank you

yes. I took it down though, because i kept banging into it (space issue).

I think it is a decent mod. I sold my 419, but regretted it, so bought the slightly bigger 618 12 months later. I will be doing the same type of mod on this new one, having cleared more space for it.

I cant remember quite how I attached the kitchen worktop to the aluminium extrusions- it somehow involved angle iron being screwed into the worktop, and then some m6 bolts/nuts acting through this acting like the extension table did. It was abit rough and ready but did work. When you see the extensions in place, it will make more sense. I plan to do it slightly differently this time, although havent got the 618 home yet. I am going to make a different fence system, so the rails for this will probably be tapped and screwed to hold something to hold the router extension surface.

A router table extension will be quite a simple mod, but one thing I do need to point out is that you may need some support for the far end of the extension. It may be nothing more than a leg. When my big freud router was on the table, it made it a bit tippy- the saw itself wasn't quite heavy enough to counterbalance it on the factory stand. If the leg retracts/folds up, then it will make it easier when you need to move the saw. I have seen somebody used a mop handle before, and it just twists to extend/retract.

Do you plan to use the table saw fence, or a separate one?

Good luck. I am sure that there will be some pics on here somewhere of a WIP.

i was planning on building into one complete cabinet with dust shoot under and maybe some drawers or space for storage so supporting the weight is no problem and yes i was planning on using the saw fence for the saw and router if this is possible . could i use the side extension tables to put the router in or would i be better with a wood top for the router

midge29":2so7o6c6 said:
i was planning on building into one complete cabinet with dust shoot under and maybe some drawers or space for storage so supporting the weight is no problem and yes i was planning on using the saw fence for the saw and router if this is possible . could i use the side extension tables to put the router in or would i be better with a wood top for the router
Have a search for axminster ts200 - same saw more or less. You will get loads of cabinet builds on here. :)

EDIT

Just came across this and looks interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yFbiJ3ZRI

Safety doesn't seem to be his strong point though :shock:

Sounds like a plan.

I would go with a corian top, a worktop top, or an mdf top (couple of pieces of 18mm) in that order of preference. The extensions are only pressed steel, so wouldnt be very good for it. The would also be a pain to cut. It is worth using a router insert plate, but not essential. I have a piece of worktop- it is a shame you are not nearer. You can use the extrusions though to support it, as I did.

Using the same fence should be possible- I plan to do that. The only limitation may be that you dont have a huge amount of support front to back- ie infeed and outfeed. That said, it will be the same as you have for sawing. You will want to be able to get around the end to use it, and will be working from right to left. If you need more support, you could always take off the fence and temporarily clamp a straight edge across the full width of the table saw combo. You would need to remove the ts guard though- maybe another mod to look at. If you are likely to do this, look at putting the router insert as close to the centre of the combo as you can (you wont be able to get it dead centre)

will do a search see if i can get some ideas. i dont mind if i need to use a clamp for the in out feed on the router side anyone recommend a cheap router insert, thanks for ya input guys

Back