Kity Combi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slightspirit

Reaction score
Hello I have just joined the forum! I came across it in my desperate search for help with my newly acquired, oldish Kity combi. the label on the side informs me that it is a direct drive! well I have never had anything to do with machines of this type before. It is a table saw, planer/thicknesser, molder, morticer. Three of them run off a central motor via two belts. the morticer has its own motor.
My problem is... recently the table saw and the planer stopped working! The motor still runs and the molder still works.
To select each unit you turn a central switch which appears to operate a solenoid which in turn engages a magnetic clutch on the direct[central drive shaft]. On inspecting the control box there appears only to be one solenoid, which works when selecting the molder. It all points to the switch, but because it effects the planer as well I'm confused! Not being particularly electrically literate. Does anyone have any knowledge of these machines and what could be the problem?

Thanks in anticipation [Hopefully]

Slightspirit

Hi
I can't help with the fault unfortunately but can tell you what the machine is so you can look for a manual.

It's a 704 Direct Drive introduced by Kity mid to late eighties. Here's a copy of the 1989 porice list which shows specs and might be of interest.
cheers
Bob
kityDD.jpg

thank you very much Bob , this will be a great help. It's the first time since I acquired it that I know its title..... Perhaps now I can sort out the parts...
much obliged
slightspirit {terry}

There's a member here who has one of these, has modifed it extensively and knows loads about things electrical generally. He's on holiday at the moment but when he gets back he'd be your best bet.

Aidan

i have just bought one of these kity direct drives it runs for 2-3 mins and then the box starts smokng and burned out the right hand relay any ideas please
i did replace the relay from rs and the machine ran for about 5 mins and startd smoking again it is running on single phase 220v if this helps thanks

I've only just found this thread having been 'prodded' by Slightspirit.
The machine I used to own was the Ck26 on the right hand side of the data sheet and it appears that the problems experienced by both Slightspirit and Skippy are related to the electromechanical switching used on the direct drive model. Without a lot more technical info on the DD model, it will be difficult to provide much support by email.

The suggestion that a couple of relays and one clutch can select one of three machines is a little baffling at the moment.

In the first instance, I suggest that your two keep in touch by PM (Skippy you will need 2-3 more forum posts before being allowed to PM) and see if you can help each other and try and keep me posted as to how you are getting along.

Be careful with all that smoke -especially if it is coming from the motor. KITY motors are very difficult to replace as the frame sizes they use are often one smaller than standard for the power rating so standard motors do not fit sometimes.

Bob

hi bob this machine was built in 1998 and is the direct drivemodel i dont have the the chiesl morticer and the smoke is coming from the relay there is one on the left
and one on the right the right one is smoking i changed that ran the planer for 5 min no problem then selected saw table ran that 3-4 mins it smoked and cut out
rang kitty they are saying motor but it ran strongly just smoke from relays is problem thanks

As I said, I did not have this particular machine so don't know the arrangement for direct drive
Just because smoke comes from the relay, it does not mean that the relay is faulty.
Smoke will come from the weakest link in a chain.
It is most likely that excessive current is being drawn by the motor and the relay can't carry that current. You have replaced the relay so, if you use the correct part, then that is not likely to be the fault.

After all if a fuse failed, you don't blame the fuse!

Bob

There's a member here who has one of these, has modifed it extensively and knows loads about things electrical generally. He's on holiday at the moment but when he gets back he'd be your best bet.

Aidan
Resurecting an old one here, any chance of finding out who? I'm new and just bought a Direct Drive.

Bob, aka 9fingers and myfordman

But by the looks of his reply, he moved his on before the thread and it wasnt direct drive....

Bob, aka 9fingers and myfordman

But by the looks of his reply, he moved his on before the thread and it wasnt direct drive....
Thanks, very hard to get info on them. I wonder is he the same Myfordman on the lathe site? I have a Super 7!

Ive got a Kitty Bestcombi 2000. I absolutely love this machine. The only problem I have with mine is that when I go to use the planer/thicknesser the motor wont turn the blades to begin with. I normally push the cylinder with a bit of wood to coax it and thereafter it'll start perfectly all day. I did a bit of research and from what I understand, I think it could be that the large capacitor needs changing.

I recently, June, acquired a Direct Drive Kity. Two of the functions worked, the Planner and Saw, the Spindle Moulder did not. All connections to the solenoids were live. The spindle moulder solenoid had failed. As far as I could see replacements not available anywhere. Local rewinders wanted £400 + to replace. So had friends copy the plastic spool, wire holder, using CAD and a 3D printer then sent off to be rewound, using data provided by Warner Electric in France, very helpful. Now have a fully functioning machine. Used on a very regular basis.

I recently, June, acquired a Direct Drive Kity. Two of the functions worked, the Planner and Saw, the Spindle Moulder did not. All connections to the solenoids were live. The spindle moulder solenoid had failed. As far as I could see replacements not available anywhere. Local rewinders wanted £400 + to replace. So had friends copy the plastic spool, wire holder, using CAD and a 3D printer then sent off to be rewound, using data provided by Warner Electric in France, very helpful. Now have a fully functioning machine. Used on a very regular basis.
Thanks for that, I'd love to pick your brain if possible, My one has that issue with the planer, I suspected a wiring fault, I have a friend who rewinds magnetos and other weird and wonderful old things and he says he'll have a go at it. I presume it all bolts together, could you tell me the size of the table top, I need to see what I will take to collect it. Is the top wood or sheet steel? Do you haave any manuals for yours? What do you think of it as a DIY bit of kit? TIA for your help

Take of the motor cover, There are three Warner electro magnetic clutches. test the continuity in each of the solenoids, with power on and off, If you have a failure on one any of the solenoid circuits then there is the problem. Dissemble the clutch units, I took photographs at every stage so that I reassemble correctly.. If it is a solenoid then it will have to be rewound, you will need a replacement spool ( make a copy using SAD and a 3 D printer). Contact Warner France for the correct number of windings and the wire diameter.

Take of the motor cover, There are three Warner electro magnetic clutches. test the continuity in each of the solenoids, with power on and off, If you have a failure on one any of the solenoid circuits then there is the problem. Dissemble the clutch units, I took photographs at every stage so that I reassemble correctly.. If it is a solenoid then it will have to be rewound, you will need a replacement spool ( make a copy using SAD and a 3 D printer). Contact Warner France for the correct number of windings and the wire diameter.
Thanks very much, I suspect the same with my unit but I haven't collected it yet. Will let you know. Ive also sent you a PM. Thanks, Tony

Tony
Hi dimensions of the table top, wood / chip board. 130 X 95 X 5 . Legs give it a height of 56 off the floor. Not sure of the weight, but its a two person job. I use the kity virtually every day. Very easy to change saw blades, I have a small blade for cutting grooves and tenons. My machine had been in the Somerset 2014 floods. The paint had come off and they were rusty. I had them sand blasted a powder coated.

Julian

Tony
Hi dimensions of the table top, wood / chip board. 130 X 95 X 5 . Legs give it a height of 56 off the floor. Not sure of the weight, but its a two person job. I use the kity virtually every day. Very easy to change saw blades, I have a small blade for cutting grooves and tenons. My machine had been in the Somerset 2014 floods. The paint had come off and they were rusty. I had them sand blasted a powder coated.

Julian
Brilliant and thanks so much. Great knowledge on here. I will of course report back on my progress with my Direct Drive when I get it up and running.

Back