Kity 637

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerro

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I bought a kity 637 yesterday with the thicknesses jammed solid at its lowest point the planer works fine but the thicknesses won’t budge took the sides off today and under Neath the four sprockets with chain on seem jammed but is it the four bolts that go up and down that is jammed I don’t know or is it something else. I have smothered everything in penetrating oil, while I assess it. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thank you

I'm certainly not trying to be funny, but are you sure it's unlocked ?
The handle beside the raising/lowering handwheel is the locking mechanism,
and needs to be slackened off to move the table.
HTH

Daniel, I havent a clue how to operate it there is no manual, there is a large red handle at the left hand side of the wheel and a small hand screw for slackening the chain. I will atempt to work it up and down if its the one . Thank you

Just had a look and the red handle goes behind a 7 ½” wheel with a belt round it and the belt is very very slack so I think the red handle adjusts the belt but it’s not working the handle just flops up and down

The red handle is more than likely the feed roller engagement.
I found the following manual online. Have a look at page 7.
Unfortunately it's a low quality scan, but is just about readable.
I have the 639 myself, so they're similar machines, although not identical.

Kity 637 Manual

Last edited:
Thank you eversomuch for the manual Daniel, I had figured out the red handle and got it working but I think the problem is the four pinions under Neath, the back two are sizing on I have got them moving and have taken one off and the spines seem a bit worn but will take the other three off tomorrow and check them there is a place in France for spares but the pinion on their web is for a 638 I have emailed them to ask if it will fit but they don’t look the same as the spines don’t go all the way though but the size is the same, but the diameter of the bore is an unknown But thank you for pointing me in the right direction

No worries.
I've never had cause to look inside mine, so that's all a bit of
a mystery to me.
I only thought of the locking mechanism because mine has
caught me out a couple of times.
Good luck with it ... (y)

Apologies for being a bit off topic but I am trying to get a Kity 644 variable speed lathe going properly. At present the variable speed doesnt actually vary and I think there is a connection missing. Could I ask where you got the Kity manual from in case they have kne for the 644.TIA. Dummyfromdownunder

Hello Steve,
I found the manual from a Google search. It seems I just struck lucky,
as I just tried the same with yours, and no results.
Sorry to not be of more help.

waggaSteve....
how about some photo's...there's engineers on here who will help...
there aren't to many different types of vari speed systems...

@WaggaSteve , I do wonder if it might be better to start a new
thread with your question, with photos ( :) ).
The title of this thread could render your question missed by
those who may be able to help.

Thanks for responding guys but lathe is at my place in France and I am in lockdown in Australia so will probably need to wait till this time next year. Stay well and thanks for the response. I had done the Google thing many times btw

Back