Kity 419 replacement handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
Over years of use the handle that operates the blade rise/tilt on my Kity 419 tablesaw has worn out. It is the type where you push in to engage a cog to activate the tilt adjustment. The cog is integrally moulded into the plastic handle and as its relatively soft it is basically knackered;

2907188037_1f1543a543.jpg

I contacted Kity UK for a spare and they want £35 plus VAT and shipping. This means it will be heading for £50 by the time I am done, which in my book is taking the p*ss for a plastic handwheel.

Anyone have any bright suggestions?

Cheers, Ed

NB - Second question; is this the sign I have been waiting for to tell me a new tablesaw is overdue?! :D

Nope none at all. I used to go through 1 a year but at least back then they were only £45 in vat and shipping. A truly stupid design.

Sorry to be of no help at all.

That said I did have a good website for Kity spares but I can't find it via google and it's in my favourites at work. I'll have a look tomorrow.

I have vague recollection of someone modifying the machine to remove this design feature, but of course have no idea where I saw it or if I ever did for that matter. :oops:

Hi,

I remember that as well I was going to do it to my bestcombi2000 but never did. It was a threaded rod and a linkage etc type thing, it didnt seem to difficult.

Pete

Yes, something along the lines of a threaded rod and handle on the side had occurred to me.

I also find the dust extraction abismal on this machine and need to improve it really. 7 years of pockets full of sawdust each time I use the saw is enough for anyone!

If I'm not careful though, this thing will end up like triggers broom which is where I started thinking about a new saw...

Cheers, Ed

EdSutton":79wal82g said:
I also find the dust extraction abismal on this machine and need to improve it really.

Ah now I know who improved that, Bean, have a search round as he posted a dust mod that worked well. :D

Must agree not the best design in the world. A thought if you know someone that is into metal lathe work etc they might be able to help. It may cost more but you would have a metal gear fitted to your handle then, this would last a life time.

Happy hunting Ed.

I have a metal lathe and could certainly make the round bits, but I'm afraid the cog would take things beyond my homespun engineering skills!

I did wonder about trying to find a metal cog the right size and pitch and expoying it to the old handle, but not sure how likely it is I would find the right one. As if by magic I had an old cog the exact diameter, but wrong pitch to fit the thread.

I suppose I could make a disc with a series of pins sticking out of the face around circumference which might work... :-k

Cheers, Ed

When I did my frame building course at Dave Yates cycles he also talked about his engineering work that he does, not sure if he could solve your problem but he knows a great deal about metal and machines, has a serious set up in his workshop and takes on small engineering jobs. Daveyatescycles.co.uk is the place to go

Ed it might take all of a wet saturday but as the 'cog' teeth are not too critical can you not just turn yourself a washer of the apropriate diameter and suitable thickness and saw-cut-file some teeth on it?

You may have enough of the old plastic one to act as a guide if you slice it off.

I think you're probably right Chas. Maybe I should stop being lazy about it and make it myself.

I'll wait for a rainy Saturday and give it a try.

Cheers, Ed.

EdSutton":2x4u32m9 said:
I also find the dust extraction abismal on this machine and need to improve it really. 7 years of pockets full of sawdust each time I use the saw is enough for anyone!

Ed,

Rob (Woodbloke) did a great modification to the dust extraction on his Kity saw - solved all the problems, I think. Drop him a PM and ask what he did.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul. I remembered the post of the modifications Rob did and in fact re-read it this evening, along with the one Bean posted about his changes.

Both are good improvements to the saw, I'm just weighing up wether its worth it or not. I've dismantled it all and am now in the pondering stage...which I seem to do this a lot these days.

Cheers, Ed.

Chances are that the gear will be a standard (Metric as Kity is French) size.

You should be able to buy a gear from HPC, Daval, Reliance etc made from steel.

If you can tell me the number of teeth and the measurement across the tips of the teeth (before they got chewed off!!) I can check the availability for you.

Bob

Hi Bob

There are 12 teeth, the diameter from tip of tooth to tip of tooth is 28mm and the hole in the centre is 12mm. Thanks for helping.

Cheers, Ed.

Hi Ed,

The gear tooth size you need is known as 1.75 module.

Without going into details the OD is divided by the number of teeth plus 2

in your case 28/(14+2) =1.75.

I have catalogues here from Reliance who only offer up to 1.5 module and from Daval who offer 1.5 module and 2.0 module but not 1.75 module.

I will continue to search.

Bob

Hi there, if you contacted Kity UK, that could be the trading name of Toolmart, who are a retailer who used to deal with Kity before they went bust and have still kept the Kity name for their website.
I have the part available direct from us at NMA Agencies Ltd as the direct importers and the part number is K504585.01 and is priced at £26.40 plus the vat and carriage. This takes the cost to about £35. including the vat.
As a gesture, if you want to order direct form ourselves I will post it out to you without postage costs, ie, £31.02 including vat.
Please ring me on 01484 400488 if you wish to order.
Richard
NMA Agencies Ltd.

Thanks for the offer Richard, I'd like to take you up on that. In fact, just rang to do so but your colleague helpfully advised you had sneaked off early for the weekend. :wink:

I'll call on Monday.

Cheers, Ed.

Latest posts

Back