Kitchen knives advice follow-up and question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Following all the advice from my question a weeek or two ago we went into town and after some ondering SWMBO finally decided that she liked the Global knives the best and we have a set due for delivery at the start of next week.

Also we do have another question. We do have a japanese style knife that SWMBO believes she got cheap from the 'remaindered' shelf in Lakeland years ago. Has anybody any idea of the make or any other information about the knife - there is no maker's mark that we can find. Here's a piccy of the item in question

knife.jpg

Misterfish

Very nice, but Im afraid I cant help you with maker... Though quite similar to the Kai knives :)
Out of interest, those ground notches near the cutting edge are called 'grantons' and can help with cutting 'sticky' things like cheese or meat, by reducing the friction effect of moisture in he thing being cut. Marketing? Actually effective? Not sure...
Cheers,
Adam

If there's no makers mark then they may be a Lakelands own product.

Congrats on buying a set of Global knives, you certainly won't be disappointed and they'll last a lifetime with the right care and attention.

Any cheap diamond steel is sufficient as a sharpening tool.

Enjoy!

misterfish":9tt24sqa said:
Following all the advice from my question a weeek or two ago we went into town and after some ondering SWMBO finally decided that she liked the Global knives the best and we have a set due for delivery at the start of next week.

I would never buy a set of any brand - different makers have different strengths in the varying types (e.g. parers, boning, carving, cooks etc).

But the Global G-2 is regarded as a good, reliable cook knife.

BugBear

misterfish":13gke4pj said:

Also we do have another question. We do have a japanese style knife that SWMBO believes she got cheap from the 'remaindered' shelf in Lakeland years ago. Has anybody any idea of the make or any other information about the knife - there is no maker's mark that we can find. Here's a piccy of the item in question

knife.jpg

Misterfish

Quite a curved edge, so it's definitely "japanese style" not Japanese, even if made in Japan. It almost looks as if it has a full bolster that has been retrospectively ground away.

BugBear

misterfish":xppbms1q said:

Misterfish

The style of knife is called Santoku, which translates as three uses or virtues (slicing, dicing and mincing) mainly meant for vegtables but obviously can be used for general work too. The Kullenschliff show its a western interpretation of the traditional Japanese design, only usually found on export models or western copies. Notice the way the pattern ends abruptly near to the handle? With damascus steel I would expect that pattern would disappear into the handle. I think these could be laser etched rather than folded metal. I've only seen a few etched blades, its difficult to tel them from the real thing. The only way to be sure is to put 2 side by side, if the patterns are the same, they're etched! Their lakeland origin also points to them being the etched variety. You can expect to pay £150, easily past £300 for a damascus Santoku bocho.

The attached pics are of damascus steel Usuba Bocho and a Yanagiba blades (picked them up from Ichimonji Mitsuhide, Kappabashi, Japan). Notice how the pattern goes into the handle? The blades are one side edge about 15 degrees rather than the normal double bevel but carry a lifetime, free repair guarantee.

Before I got these I used globals for years, they are nice blades but £150 for a bread knife?? The G2 is ok, I found it slightly heavy and much preferred the G5 having said that, once I found that good quality Japanese knives of white or blue steel can be found and imported for a lot less, I haven't bought another global. Admittedly these two in the pics were a little more than the globals but I do like damascus / suminagashi (marbled paper) :)

I never got on with the handles on the GS range, I found the G series much more comfortable. But its such a personal thing.. As you probably already know, don't put the globals in the dishwasher, they rust. The sharpening gizmo scratches the side of the blades and watch out for counterfeits, there's a lot of them about too.

I'll grab a pic of the the KAI cleaver too, good solid blade and still sharp enough to shave with!

Attachments

• damascus  front 2.jpg
    damascus front 2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 935
  • damascus rear.jpg
    damascus rear.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 935
Higon":3soho8uh said:
Notice the way the pattern ends abruptly near to the handle? With damascus steel I would expect that pattern would disappear into the handle. I think these could be laser etched rather than folded metal. I've only seen a few etched blades, its difficult to tel them from the real thing. The only way to be sure is to put 2 side by side, if the patterns are the same, they're etched! Their lakeland origin also points to them being the etched variety. You can expect to pay £150, easily past £300 for a damascus Santoku bocho.

I did wonder about that. I'll try looking at it under a lens and see how it looks and try comparing the two faces. And also thanks for the info - of course the final decision with any knife comes down to the boss.

Funny thing was we were in Lakeland yesterday and they had a cou[le of their small ceramic knives reduced from about £30 to about £7,50

Misterfish

Higon":qyxfmp6l said:
Notice the way the pattern ends abruptly near to the handle? With damascus steel I would expect that pattern would disappear into the handle.

Even the famous Hattori HD knives show this; I think you'd always get this in a knife with any kind of bolster. Only a simple through-tang design could be otherwise.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HDSer ... l#HDSeries

BugBear

Even looking at the blade using a hand lens I am not sure - possibly (probably) etched but not easy to tell.

Anyway, despite its structure it still is a useful and sharp knife.

Somewhere in my study I have (what I believe) is a small Damascus pocket knife, but (as is always the case) it has decided to hide - I'll have another look later when my brain is awake/in gear! Then I'll look at that in the same way.

Misterfish

Back