Looking for advice for hidden door sliding mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertie

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My daughter has asked me to build a bookshelf which slides to reveal a doorway in her house. She got the idea from the following Tiktok video which looks pretty cool.

I’ve read the comments attached to the video and the maker says the “The top slider helps the bookshelf slide stay attached to the wall. The bottom does have hidden casters that hold all the weight”. The maker also goes on to say that “They manufacture our own track”.

I’m looking for any advice to help me replicate this sliding mechanism (if it is at all possible) with off the shelf ironmongery. Hoping someone might have done something similar in the past.

Thanks

Bertie

I *think* this is the same idea as 'mirror doors' (convert an alcove into a wardrobe? the bottom slider takes all the weight. Not sure if the top 'sliders' (normally hang) could be adapted to fasten to the back of the bookcase?

Thanks guys for the advice/comment. I read the Tiktok comments further and the maker of the bookshelf door says the bottom of the bookshelf has hidden casters which take all the weight of the unit. Can’t see any track on the floor for the casters to follow. Would anyone have any idea what sort casters could be used for that part as its got me stumped.

Non-turning, pretty beefy? Surely a track / guide / edge would keep it straight (and it is 'hidden' until the bookcase is moved away?
Something like this perhaps?

If you watch the video in full screen I think you can see an indentation in the carpet behind her right foot, looks like where the caster would sit. Expect it just runs on the carpet.

Thanks everyone for your constructive comments and advice which have been a huge help to me. Can't wait to start my little project which I'm sure will work out just right if I follow your advice.

Bertie

Back