Kitchen Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMac

Established Member
Reaction score
Wondering if any of the professional kitchen guys on here can help (or amateurs, really not fussy...)

SWMBO has her heart set on MFI's Space Black kitchen wall units. i.e. 360 high x 1000 wide wall boxes with gloss back frame doors with glass in them. Has to be gloss black frame, aluminium ones won't do.

Now I really don't like the look of the MFI kitchen cabinets, and as the gloss black kitchen doors may be a fad would rather get some decent cabinets I can replace the doors on when we get sick of them.

Any suggestions on a supplier who might do these and would deal with non-trade (or who would be easy to blag trade status...)? Second Nature come close but not ideal. I'm sure there are others, but trying to find them on google is a nightmare.

BigMac

I think you're unlikely to be able to blag full trade on Second Nature (which is only really a brand name) as the actual distributors are very much a trade-only outfit (and from memory required £10k PA to get a trade account), as are their biggest competitors in Coventry and Manchester.

360mm high sounds very small, but 355 x 995 (for a 360 x 1000 carcass) is a standard size, so...... One firm I know of who is introducing a black high gloss glazed door like this is Multiwood in Manchester. It will be called Haddington black and will be here in about 8 weeks - but they won't supply to you directly as they are strictly trade only. This is fairly normal for component suppliers in the kitchen trade, BTW. Expect the price to be around £35/door, undrilled (and they don't drill, either)

Scrit

I think you're unlikely to be able to blag full trade on Second Nature (which is only really a brand name) as the actual distributors are very much a trade-only outfit (and from memory required £10k PA to get a trade account), as are their biggest competitors in Coventry and Manchester.

Don't think I'm being terribly clear. I don't mind about having to pay retail type prices (i.e. Second Nature are stocked by lots of the internet outfits who will supply to retail). Hence happy for non-trade suggestions if there are any or any generally trade outfits who might be willing to supply me.

360mm high sounds very small, but 355 x 995 (for a 360 x 1000 carcass) is a standard size, so......

The idea is to have two on top of each other or to use them for bifold doors.

One firm I know of who is introducing a black high gloss glazed door like this is Multiwood in Manchester. It will be called Haddington black and will be here in about 8 weeks - but they won't supply to you directly as they are strictly trade only. This is fairly normal for component suppliers in the kitchen trade, BTW. Expect the price to be around £35/door, undrilled (and they don't drill, either)

Thanks, any other suggestions along these lines are fine as I can always google to find if I can get someone who will on-supply to retail. Its the absence of anything to put into google other than "gloss black kitchen door" which is the problem.

BigMac

Second Nature is the brand name adopted by a large importer/distributor and is used in retail channels. They aren't cheap IMHO. In the trade that distributor is generally referred to by their name and not the range.

People like myself do build-up trade contacts over time, but I'm normally less than willing to give some of my more special trade contacts away simply because that information has cost me time and money to find and partly because quite a few of my contacts won't deal with non-trade, period. That said I have given out quite a few contacts here over the years (and if you are interested I still have trade contacts with Multiwood).

Oh, and while I think about it, if you want a better quality carcass than B&Q try Howdens. They do a pre-assembled (dowelled and glued) carcass which is better quality than the B&Q ones. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not it is available as carcass-only or if you need to buy the complete kitchen, doors and all from them (which is becoming more common)

Scrit

Have you tried Magnet, they do a gloss black (urban gloss) which has horizontal wall units in solid doors, not sure about glazed but the gloss white has glazed ones so I assume the black will as well. They have reasonable rigid carcases.

Jason

Jason

Have you been able to compar Magnet and Howdens on carcass prices? Just curious because Magnet isn't often an option as the nearest branch is 22 miles away as opposed to three Howdens all about 10 to 12 miles off

Scrit

Thanks Scrit, fully understand your reluctance.

On Magnet, do they even give prices out? I thought they were one of the hard sell brigade so hadn't really investigated.

Have found that William Ball seem to do exactly what I'm after. Any views on them?

Cheers wysi

Following from what scrit said I would second Howdens rigid carcass'. I have used them in my kitchen and utility and you have all the hassle of assembly taken away. They will sell them individually (ie. without doors, etc.) but you will need someone with a trade account to get them for you.

Steve

BigMac - don't be in too much of a hurry to discount Magnet. We've bought a couple of kitchens from them over the last couple of years and look likely to be buying another one. OK - might be down the excellent customer service/advice of our Worcester branch but you never know.

They also do glossy black which looks quite smart.

Are these the ones you mean?
blackkitch1da1.jpg

I fitted this lot about four months ago and these were from MFI. Not sure about where to get the carcasses though.

Back