kitchen carcass spacing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
My sister is moving into a new house and needs a new kitchen.

I went around and measured it up and with the size of one wall she wants 2 corner units on it. After these are on, there is a 430mm gap. From the looks of it the carcasses she is getting from have a width of 400mm or 450mm so i am saying use the 400mm have a 15mm spacing each side and then do something to face the gap so it cannot be seen.

or is it better to pad out from the corners and bring each sides units out by 15mm so it is a tight fit between all carcasses.

What would be your advice?

Cheers
Mark

what about with the wall cabinets as Im just designing it out now and noticed it has the same 15mm gap either side. would I just pade out the wall cabinets 15mm to minimise the gap

Cheers
Mark

Careful, if you pad out the base units, make sure your worktop is wide enough, have you thought about building 1 wall out 30mm to make the room the correct size? Walls are never square in my expeience so I would leave the walls alone and place a 15mm infil between the base and wall units

Hey ghengis,

I was thinking of basaclly adding a 15 mm "shim" on either side to close the gap up, is that what you recommend? My sister don't really have the funds to build up one of the walls, first house and all
Cheers
Mark

Hey,
Yes that may help.

Find attached a video of a fly by on it (should be able to see gaps)

https://youtu.be/iuwd3_KukfI

top down of the design

topDown_zpsjtkisguv.jpg

Cheers
Mark

If you make a tight fit of the cabinets in that middle run it means you'll have to transfer that 30mm to either one of the adjacent walls, extending the front (of those cabinets) into the room by that amount Or split the difference and bring both adjacent wall cabinet front lines out 15mm to plug the gap.

If it were me I'd be looking at 2 other things to drive that decision:

1/ How much free width have I got left if I bring one side in by 30mm? I can see it's a galley style kitchen so space is going to be tight, will 30mm make that much difference??
2/ Is the worktop I've specified got enough headroom in its width to accommodate an additional 30mm so the lower cabs don't jut out beyond it

Oddly enough I'm looking at mine end on right now and they're about an inch shy of the worktop so it maybe you don't have a choice? In which case, split the difference on both sides.

The messiest solution is shim the middle because it will draw the eye AND you'll need to do it 4 times ie on either side of both the lower and upper cabs. But it's do-able as long as you can match the veneer on top of your shim

Hey Random,

Yeah I was thinking of splitting the difference by 15mm each side. However I may be able to plug the gap as the carcases and doors going to be used are a flat white high gloss (the typical modern white look)

Cheers
Mark

Back