Keeping warm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Or even just keeping not utterly frozen.
In a garage-turned-workshop with a dust/chip extractor venting outdoors.

It's baltic!

Any tips?

Same situation here. -12C this morning.
Playing hooky for a couple of days till the cold spell passes.

I set up the bandsaw on the weekend to try and start ripping my waney edge boards into work top laminations. Didn’t have time to have a go before the cold weather set in. Today I lost my patience and ran the 2kw fan heater from 8am until 3pm and got the shed to 8 degrees C then had a go. Works a beaut but hate to think how much electrikity I used!

Insulated one side of my workshop (it is effectively two rooms) in the summer and the insulated side had two oil filled radiators running today which just about stopped it from being freezing. Was fine tuning mortice and tenons all day so had cold hands from using a very cold shoulder plane and block plane until I came up with the idea of leaving them both on top of the small radiator in between uses. Probably not to good for the planes but man was it nice on the fingers! Didn't dare go in the non insulated side of the workshop.

I used to have that problem but my dearly beloved wanted a bigger kitchen and utility room. The garage building needed to grow a bit to achieve this so I grew it a bit at both ends to give me a bigger workshop too. Best of all, growing it at the front means it is now directly connected to the house and the central heating . No possibilty of getting the car in the garage but who cares when you don't have to go out in the cold to get to a nice warm workshop.

All right, I know I'm a smug b*****d but I really do feel for you :D .

Jim

I'm in the north, so I'm thinking about putting a jumper on ;-)

On a serious note, i would get some base layers from Mountain Warehouse or other outdoor type shop. You'll be amazed the difference they make to keeping your core temp up. Base layer, shirt and a micro fleece is usually all i need.

When its really cold 0-5 degress, then I too have a 2kw fan heater, but only leave that running when i am in there - not really to warm it up before hand.

Oh and the workshop is a single skin, un-insulated brick detached garage.

don't forget footwear. decent insulated footwear makes a huge difference over wellingtons, old trainers etc.

Kev":16dumdmf said:
Insulated one side of my workshop (it is effectively two rooms) in the summer and the insulated side had two oil filled radiators running today which just about stopped it from being freezing. Was fine tuning mortice and tenons all day so had cold hands from using a very cold shoulder plane and block plane until I came up with the idea of leaving them both on top of the small radiator in between uses. Probably not to good for the planes but man was it nice on the fingers! Didn't dare go in the non insulated side of the workshop.

It is common done thing to keep your tools warmer than the surrounding air.
It is in the opposite situation where you need to be careful ... warm air condensing on the cold metal will cause rust.
In the same boat here with the temperature...minus a few degrees
Just too dang cold to bear
Hope your all well and toasty
Tom

I've one of these, they're very efficient. It's surprising what one bar (600w) left on for a few hours does, although I bought mine primarily because my circulation is shot and needed something to warm my hands quickly when they start to get cold. -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Firefly-Mounte ... B00NFKN4YG
Incidentally it's wired to a socket not permanently wired in.

Make sure you are not standing on concrete - even an old newspaper will help your feet stay warmer.

marcros":3a94fow4 said:
don't forget footwear. decent insulated footwear makes a huge difference over wellingtons, old trainers etc.

I'm currently sporting two, yes two, pairs of Alpaca Ski Socks. They are especially cosy when out walking Le Dog in the snow. I suspect if, unlike me, you have a proper workspace then they would be good in there too.

ColeyS1":19kdntyq said:
Oil filled radiator.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Maybe ok if you are spending a full day in the workshop. Too slow to warm up if you are just in there for an hour or two in the evening.

Bodgers":2oqnyknn said:
ColeyS1":2oqnyknn said:
Oil filled radiator.

Maybe ok if you are spending a full day in the workshop. Too slow to warm up if you are just in there for an hour or two in the evening.
If you can turn it on an hour before you go in I reckon it'd do the job.

Insulated floor, walls and ceiling plus woodburner = 16°..toasty warm and no complaints from the apprentice.
28336250_735538466652111_5901939139818536216_o.jpg

Attachments

• 28336250_735538466652111_5901939139818536216_o.jpg
    28336250_735538466652111_5901939139818536216_o.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 281
one of these aimed at the workbench

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mh-10-1-wall ... 200w/1238p

doesn't help when your 4ft away working on the bike though. :)

had ice on the workbench yesterday when I went in and my pot of water for cooling off from the grinder was frozen solid.

still, got to get on.

my feet on the other hand don't agree, they get cold on the concrete, so I'm going to duckboard in front of the bench and lathe (my old man would be turning in his grave)

Carpet offcuts or samples are great for working on. I have several squares of the finest axminster pure wool twist near my main tools as well as rubber mats. If you create sparks, make sure they are pure wool otherwise they could catch fire.

Went against the wife's wishes and bought a 2-foot long 80w tubular heater. It's mainly to try and warm the bandsaw table so it doesn't rust up - It was a present from her anyway and cost several hundred quid, so you'd think she would be delighted I'm taking care of it... so long as it doesn't use any of our precious electricity, of course.

Back