K419 Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
This topic has been covered fairly recently by Bean who improved the extraction for his Kity 419. When I first read of what Bean had done, I had a go but it was a fairly half-hearted attempt and never really improved the situation so this afternoon I decided to have another go. I stripped out the tatty old thing I had done and constructed a hopper, screwed together, so that sawdust would drop to the bottom and could be sucked out much more easily. I've attempted to block off all, or most of the air holes to improve the 'suck' by gluing some hardboard over the biggest bits with a few tiny blobs of hot melt glue, so it's easy to remove at any time, most of the other air entry points have also been sealed. Pic shows the upside down saw on the take-off table with the hopper in place:

44dfggg.jpg

I intend to also fit a crown guard extractor tomorrow as well so will post some pics of the finished saw - Rob

Rob that looks like an improvement on the changes I made, I have also been thinking about a vertical hopper, but due to the mobile base I use there was not the room. Whilst the extraction of dust works ok the amount of large particles that remain in the hopper I use has caused some concern lately. It could be that my extractor is not big enough.

As a fellow 419 owner, who has yet to even do sort out the extraction problems, I will follow this will interest.

Andy

Here's a couple of pics of the completed saw, a couple of test cuts on some pine show promising results, no dust worth mentioning in the air around the crown guard whereas before there was quite a lot:

wretttt.jpg

5e5r11rt.jpg

Materials were dead cheap, Philly let me have some odd bits of black mdf (thanks Philly :D) a length of 1" dia hose for the pipe on the crown guard and a couple of plumbing fittings to make the junction at the extractor, total cost about £4. Joint between the large hose and the white fitting is by using some shrink-fit tubing which came with the extractor, push fit joints made to be a good fit by wrapping with duct tape where needed.

Andy - great little saw, IMO well worth doing this sort of mod to improve the extraction.

Something in the Honours List for the bloke wot invented cable ties...genius :lol: - Rob

Back