Just for fun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
well what a lovely day, after cutting the lawn, sowing a few flower seeds with the missus, i decided to go into the cabin and play around with the lathe.
I turned this goblet from a piece of wood Rich gave me when i went over there last week, it was orange in colour and oily with a very open grain. Not really up on my woods yet, but it looks like Osage to me, but i'm not sure, never seen any before.

osgob.jpg

then i got an old bit of pine to play with, although it was dry and the end grain was really brittle i turned this mushroom, also played around with some stain too, great fun.

multimush.jpg

Both look good to me Steve. Nice to see you are getting over your block :lol: When you do the goblets, try doing the inside of the goblet, stuffing it with tissue then bringing the tail up until it starts revolving, not under pressure. This will negate any whip and you can have a go at doing thinner stems.

I've not done much with stains yet, quite happy leaving hole and bits of bark on instead :lol:

Pete

very nice work Steve. You've got some rings on the goblet. Is that from the finishing process or sanding? What did you use?

Two items in an afternoon Steve 8) good stuff.

Bit of a tip for you to try, make the top of goblet bases a concave curve as it really lightens the look and adds a dash of elegance.

What grits are you sanding with as I can see a few lines around the cup(and they look easily sandable). I go from 120, 240,320 and depending on the wood 400 and 600 aswell.

Good to see you getting things finished in one piece after your post about your bad luck. Just keep making things.

JT

wizer":1pvo38cq said:
very nice work Steve. You've got some rings on the goblet. Is that from the finishing process or sanding? What did you use?

thanks guys

i have been using abranet from 180- 400 but this wood was something else, when turning , all the wood came off in dusty little pieces and it marked very easily.
i probably didn't start sanding down the grits far enough, probably should use 120 first, so i'll have to get some.
thank for the comments, love to read them.

Not bad Steve for a bit of fun :D
Goblet looks good with some nice detail on the base,and a nicely shaped bowl.Pity about the sanding marks,but all those will disappear as time goes on,and your finishing gets better :D
Good mushroom too and looks well finished for a piece of Pine :D
Keep it up :D

stevebuk":2728nmxj said:
great fun.

That's what counts Steve!!! Well done. Glad to see you gaining your confidence back.

Oily woods can be a real pain. I recently had t oturn some legs in Olive and achieving a good finish on timbers like this takes twice as long as on more normal woods. It really is a case of patience and make sure your abrasive is fresh.

Well done,

Richard

Good to see you turning again mate,beats sorting out the shop.
Nice looking pieces,hope you have a good day tomorrow,
Can't stand this Blackberry, I'll be glad to get home, to the lathe & laptop.

Glad your back Steve, those blips can be hard to break. Your lucky to have some good mates around you,well done. REgards Boysie

Hi Steve,
After your thread about everything going wrong these are a nice afternoons work and not badly presented at all. As the other guys have commented the sanding can get rid of the rings and its all about practice and just having fun doing it.
Regards,
Ian

Steve,
I hope I'm not telling granma how to suck eggs but,
a tip on sanding. start with the grit that will remove the tool marks, then progress down the grits but don't jump a grit.
After each grit has done its job, sand along the grain until the ring marks have gone,
remove the dust before moving on to the next grit (it leaves tiny particles of the previous grit)
Sand at a low speed, wood hates heat, high speed creates heat.
You probably know all this, if not I hope it helps.

John. B

thanks again guys, i will take on board the sanding info, very useful. I also think maybe i was a bit hasty to finish the goblet as it had gone right for me and didn't take enough time to look proporly.

i am indeed very lucky to have found such a great bunch of guys around me and also from the help recieved from people i have met close by, this is a wonderful hobby bettered only by the wonderful people doing it.
many thanks

Nice goblet Steve !

Nice wood too - did you get a definate id yet ?

Great to see all is going well, nice to have a bit of fun on the lathe, great work, like you I am still learning, and has you say great hobby and good tips from the forum, ( apart from one who we will not mention :twisted: )

Back