Just finished this......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well having been working on large projects recently I have finished a slightly smaller one today

It is a small glazed display case for a 4000 year old Egyptian Shabti (Artifact) - Made in English Yew.

Got to start an Oak dining table tomorrow - From one extreme to the other! lol

DSCF1106.jpg

Sorry - the quality of the photo isnt the best.

Rog

Naturally I like it as well.

Never been able to find any Yew that was usable, mine has always had internal checks and splits.

mailee":d6pnrdm3 said:
I agree it is simple and very nice. Are the spindle corners rebated for the glass or is it quartered?

After turning and polishing the the columns on the lathe they were grooved on the router table with a slot cutter for the glass to slide into from the bottom before it was fixed on.

And Blister - Shabtis are small statues that were buried with Egyptians Pharohs in their tombs.

Very good display case.
What thickness glass did you use?
Can you replace a pane should one break?
Were the columns turned by you?
Any photos of how it was put together?
I've made a couple of display cases in the past but always interested in different designs

Very nice Roger,bet there was a lot of work involved for a small project.
Looks like the extractor bags need emptying again!

Mark.

Chippyjoe":1ckvjvkj said:
Very nice Roger,bet there was a lot of work involved for a small project.
Looks like the extractor bags need emptying again!

Mark.

Yes Mark - It took me a little longer than expected - As for my extractor bags, I know - My pet hate is emptying them!!

Rog

Really like the design. Will you be able to get any photos once the artefact is in position?

jorgoz":3rwrx3og said:
What finish did you use ?

Cellulose sanding sealer, two coats duly rubbed back with Mylands Light Brown wax buffed to shine.

As promised a picture of the case with the "Shabti" in situ.

ShabtiCase.jpg

The customer sent me this picture and I have just found out how much he paid for this artifact - Just over £4k - yes Four thousand pounds - It only stands about 7" tall. - Think of the woodworking equip he could have bought instead lol.

Rog

You'd think he'd centre it on the plinth after dropping all that money on it!

Lovely piece of work Rog.

Back