Just bought a Domino...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
... domino XL :)
I was thinking about it for a while then a mate was using one (the little 500 one) and was impressed with the ease of use. Managed to convince myself that it was a good idea and got the 700 kit with the 12mm cutter as standard along with a box of dominos and the 8mm and 10mm cutters. Bought the 14mm cutter too and as I was completely carried away by them also bought 3.8 litres of titebond 3....
Shopped around a bit but found the best combination of ex-VAT and shipping was dm tools (£827 for the lot).

Help.

Not listening La la la la la

Watched some vids and saw how much more versatile the domino is to a biscuit joiner. :cry:

@chippy970 - nope, looked at that but with the combination of bits I wanted and high shipping the other place worked out less - good spot through. With everything I 'needed' the list was dm tools then amptc then n&bo. Ex-VAT is nice but the shipping to this little island has gone up alot in recent years. N&BO wanted £45 shipping.

Yep, better get making stuff.... popped in on someone just now and they want two benches for their kitchen table... hmmmm

Looking forward to getting the XL.
Ed

Oh yeah I see it's only free shipping to the mainland

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You won't regret it, I've had the small one for about a year now and it's totally changed the way I work, so much quicker than any other mortise & tenon equivalent

kostello":1fyndy1r said:
You can get an adaptor to fit the df 500 cutters to the big domino.

Never tried it though

I bought one of them from Seneca;

http://www.senecawoodworking.com/collections/all

Also got the Domi shims as well

Thoroughly recommend both. I can now use the entire range of the domino cutters for the 500 and the 700 all from a 700. And the shims allow for joint making in 1/2 and 3/4 ply.

I just brought a domino as well. Couldn't find XL so got ham and pineapple.
<never a door when you need one>

carlb40":2dm6erqq said:
Watched some vids and saw how much more versatile the domino is to a biscuit joiner.

I've got a 500 Domino and an XL Domino, I've used them regularly for several years, so I'm pretty heavily invested in the Domino system. Domino has some great advantages, but like any other bit of woodworking kit they're not an instant passport to cabinet making heaven!

The fit of the domino tenons is very humidity dependant, and when they're tight they're unbelievably tight, meaning that unlike biscuits or traditional M&T's they're not always the best choice for projects that require multiple dry cramp ups, as you either have to risk damaging the workpiece when you disassemble it, or spend quite some time planing down dominos to achieve an easier fit.

For best results you have to calibrate the perspex viewing window, and I doubt more than one woodworker in three actually does this, so I'd guess there's a fair number of domino users out there who are wondering why sometimes the joint doesn't quite line up (something that doesn't afflict most biscuit jointers with their greater tolerance margin).

A domino joint is only ever as accurate as the workpiece components that you're assembling. I spoke to one chap who bought a domino hoping it would by itself take his woodworking up a level, but without perfectly square shoulders and perfectly prepared rails and stiles there'll still be gaps and sloppy glue lines. If you're taking components straight from an accurate panel saw and accurate thicknesser a domino is very slick, if you're a newcomer to woodworking preparing your timber by hand it's not quite so good.

There are work arounds for most things, but domino machines aren't very versatile when it comes to off setting the mortice a specific distance from an edge, and the finite range of domino biscuit sizes further restricts your options. I find that dominos are at their very best when the item you're building has been designed for dominos right from the outset. If you're working from a set of plans, in particular a set of imperial plans, you'll probably find yourself making some compromises.

I'm not trying to criticise dominos, as I said I'm heavily invested in them and wouldn't be without mine. But it's important to look beyond the hype. If you're happy with your existing making skills you may well find a domino can improve your efficiency, but if the reason for wanting a domino is to overcome shortcomings in technique then I think a domino is unlikely to deliver.

Eric The Viking":3ldmx1j6 said:
I've bought from DM Tools in the past - very pleased.

I was slightly disappointed about their shop opening hours though. In-laws are nearby, but so far I haven't managed to get there when (a) I'm allowed out and (b) they're open.

Ho hum.

E.

Pain to park there now too since they built a warehouse on the parking spaces

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

shed9":gi8gfhx5 said:
kostello":gi8gfhx5 said:
You can get an adaptor to fit the df 500 cutters to the big domino.

Never tried it though

I bought one of them from Seneca;

http://www.senecawoodworking.com/collections/all

Also got the Domi shims as well

Thoroughly recommend both. I can now use the entire range of the domino cutters for the 500 and the 700 all from a 700. And the shims allow for joint making in 1/2 and 3/4 ply.

is there much imperial ply in the uk? i have only ever seen 12mm and 18mm, even if advertised as 1/2" and 3/4"

marcros":3p774c7m said:
is there much imperial ply in the uk? i have only ever seen 12mm and 18mm, even if advertised as 1/2" and 3/4"

Never seen it myself either, I just calls it that cause' as you say, its advertised as that.

No but it is sold in imperial length x width ie 8ft x 4ft

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

marcros":22usbsms said:
s there much imperial ply in the uk? i have only ever seen 12mm and 18mm, even if advertised as 1/2" and 3/4"

Given the huge and random variation between nominal ply thickness and actual ply thickness I'd guess that it's a moot point if it's advertised as imperial or metric, as it's more like a rough stab at what the thickness may possibly be!

Back