Just a moan really

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmc1957

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I took delivery of my brand new CL3 lathe, bought the bowl saving attachment as well as I want to turn some bigger stuff in the future,

Moan No 1 - It states on the head stock that you need to oil the spindle, out of a £400 pound spend not even a small starter bottle in the box....really.... I spent £14 on a set of electric beard trimmers and they included a small starter bottle of oil.

Moan No 2 - As already stated I want to turn bigger lumps of timber, so I bought a Speed Genie to convert the CL3, after a 13week wait, Record have changed the design on the motor housing so the Seed Genie can not now be located, what do I do with a Speed Genie that doesn't fit??.

Anyway, moans over and done with, I still have a lathe which I can use....once I can source, order and await thedelivery of a bottle of Record lubricating oil....but I'm not happy.

Kevin

Hi

Record Power lathe oil is made from frictionless components obtained from the moons of Jupiter - or so the price would have you believe.

Any reasonably viscous machine oil, (gearbox / engine oil) will be fine and you'll not have to get a second mortgage, I wouldn't use 3 in 1 oil, it's a little too thin.

I converted my CL3 to CL4 - it's a great lathe in my opinion, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Regards Mick

Hi Spindle

Thanks for the heads up on the oil,

the problem is that I bought the speed genie to convert the CL3, but they aren't compatible any longer, need to talk to Haydock converters to see what they say.

Regards

Kevin

HI
Record took it Upon Themselves to alter the fixings so that speed genie motors wouldn't fit that was after they stopped buying them from them and set them to India there is a plate that you can buy off Haydock motors which will allow the speed genie to fit without having to drill the holes to take the mounting bolts
http://www.haydockconverters.co.uk/aboutus.ht
Regards
Bill

Hi Bill

That's really good news, thank you very much, the whole set-up was gift to me from my wife as combined Christmas and birthday present , she was almost in tears when I told her of the problem, at least there is a reasonably easy fix to it, I'll tell her now.

Once again many thanks

Kevin

can you pass my birthday details to your wife please i only get socks 26th of july thank you in anticipation of a big present

Hi All

Spoke to Mark at Haydock converters, he gave me two reasonable options, I can drill the matching screw holes into the tension arm or he can supply a plate for me, I'm going for the buy and swap option, never did metal work at school and I'm not gonna start now, depending on the courier I should have my ersatz CL4 up and running slowly and quickly by the weekend

Cheers to you all for the support

Kevin

Hi All

The p[late arrived yesterday and I fitted it this morning, turned it on and I now have a electronic variable speed lathe for about £775:00 which is quite a saving, turned some stuff today just for the fun of it, I've not turned for better part of 22 months so it was for me and not for show.

Now I just need to see what the club competitions are for the next few months and I'll have something to aim for.

Regards

Kevin

Glad you got it working. I'm saving up for a speed genie for my old style cl2.

Happy turning!

Back