JungleJim's Workshop Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungleJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been a frequent visitor to this forum on and off for few years now. And I have dreamt of being able to build my own workshop. I have always been envious of the Workshops that i have seen here. I have spent years thinking about the type of thing I want and have changed my mind countless times. But now I have found I am in the position to have the time and resources to be able to build my workshop. Looks like I am set to start in about 4 weeks.

Project Brief
--------------
-7m x 4m (keeping it under the 30m2 so I won't need Building Regs)
-It will be just over 1 metre from the boundary on the sides and the back (avoiding building regs)
-The regs changed in 2008 that means any structure that is within 2m of the boundary cannot be higher than 2.5m, which I have decided will be what I work to, so I will be going for a flat/almost flat roof design.
-To keep the floor level as low as I can i have opted to use a concrete slab.
-I have already laid my 10 mm armoured cables in the ground and will have plenty of electrical sockets
-It is a requirement of the missus that it looks good, so would like it to be cedar clad (we’ll have to wait and see how the budget goes).
-looking to have 1 large window (approx 1m x 2m), keeping an eye on ebay at the moment, there seems to be a lot of windows being sold because the wrong size was ordered, may get a bargain.

Well, I leave it at that for a first post. I will be adding photo's and CAD drawings as I go, will keeps a log of what everything costs.

My next post will be my plan for laying the foundations, so please feel free to pick a pull apart and make any suggestions, this is my first time doing something like this and I want to get it right so any advice and suggestions will be greatly received.

Thanks

James

@ Dibs: I think (from my research on a workshop build that I'm hoping to start soon too) that the 2.5 metre height restriction is a planning permission one and not a building regs one.

Just in case anyone reads this post and gets confused.

Jungle Jim: good luck with the build. Are you laying the concrete yourself? Sounds like a big slab, I hope you've got some help!

dh7892":lkhi4hkg said:
@ Dibs: I think (from my research on a workshop build that I'm hoping to start soon too) that the 2.5 metre height restriction is a planning permission one and not a building regs one.

Just in case anyone reads this post and gets confused.

Ah! I suspect it still might be worth a punt with PP - I don't really like flat
roofed buildings.

Cheers!

any structure that is within 2m of the boundary cannot be higher than 2.5m
Are you sure this is the correct understanding?
•Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
I take that to be the maximum height of any part of a building at the point of 2 metres from the boundary. So you could start at 1 metre from boundary with a 2metre eaves rising to 4m as long asthe pitch is such that at two metres from the boundary is no more than 2.5m from the highest piece of ground around it (and that can be quite important) IMVHO as now required :)
I am open to discussion that's just how I would interpret it. Otherwise just because something is within a metre forcing it to be a flat roof would be daft especially as they are unattractive, like Dibs alludes.

Alan

Ooh, I hadn't thought of this, I think a phone call to the planning department may be in order, Am interested to see how this discussion will go.

cheers dh, i meant to say PP, I will be doing the formwork of the base, laying the sub base and steel mesh but will be getting the concrete ready mixed, I'm approx 100 ft from the road, so will barrow it up to the top of the garden

Dibs, I know what you mean about flat roofs, I was trying to avoid going too high, as there is a bungalow at the back of the garden, and was concious of having something that appears imposing, but if Alan is right, I may have the best of both worlds.

Woody Alan":3l5tswet said:
any structure that is within 2m of the boundary cannot be higher than 2.5m
Are you sure this is the correct understanding?
•Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
I take that to be the maximum height of any part of a building at the point of 2 metres from the boundary. So you could start at 1 metre from boundary with a 2metre eaves rising to 4m as long asthe pitch is such that at two metres from the boundary is no more than 2.5m from the highest piece of ground around it (and that can be quite important) IMVHO as now required :)
I am open to discussion that's just how I would interpret it. Otherwise just because something is within a metre forcing it to be a flat roof would be daft especially as they are unattractive, like Dibs alludes.

Alan

Alan

I don't think you are right.

Have a look here:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upload ... dings.html

Mick

The size of the footprint relates to building regs.

The roof height relates PP.

I also took it to mean any part of the roof cannot be over 2.5m even if the part that's over 2.5 metres is 2m away from the fence.

I'd be interested if anyone has any clarification on this as it might change my plans too.

Is it also true what Alan said about measuring from the highest piece of ground around it?

Edit: Re concrete. I've got similar issues with regards being a way away from the road. It's going to take a fair few barrow loads to do that concrete! Have you looked into finding someone who can pump it? I have no idea if this is a goer but would save a lot of effort.

This is the relevant bit from the Government Portal site above

If the outbuilding is within 2 metres of the property
boundary the whole building should not exceed 2.5
metres in height.

Mick

dh7892":1oe9l1vb said:
Edit: Re concrete. I've got similar issues with regards being a way away from the road. It's going to take a fair few barrow loads to do that concrete! Have you looked into finding someone who can pump it? I have no idea if this is a goer but would save a lot of effort.

Yup - I've had a pump round twice. £250 each time and that'll pump at least 10m3 in that time, although 2nd time I think I used 8m3 or thereabouts. Their kit is supplied by Transcrete - who may be able to tell you who they've supplied in your neck of the woods. Or Look up Concrete Pumping in Yell and you need to ask whether the pumps are the articulated boom types (in which case it's min of £650 +vat for the hire, probably more down saaf') or if they use the ones with 6" rubber lines connected together. If it's the latter - that's what I've used, awesome. Both times (6.5m3 and 8m3) pumped in around 30 mins.

If the outbuilding is within 2 metres of the property
boundary the whole building should not exceed 2.5
metres in height.
Thanks Mick, I hadn't managed to stumble upon that relevant bit of info before. These govt sites are pretty poor in a lot of dumbing down, by missing out key info, as if we'll all go into overload and not able to cope with a bit of reading. I had looked at a similar but different site.
As for the ground level yes. I had this tested when my neighbour built a deck 2 feet high next to my boundary. I complained as it was over the 30cm height requiring planning. The council took the measurement of ground level from the other side where it was 30cm.

Alan

Hi Jungle Jim.

Good luck with the build, it sounds interesting. Just a quick thought when it comes to the foundations and the slab. Decide which corner (or where-ever) the distribution bard will go in for the electrics and run a plastic pipe (around 2" internal) under the slab from outside and poking up into the workshop above floor level.

It's just a pet hate of mine. Being an electrician I've turned up to many new buildings to install the wiring and had to drill holes in walls and run ugly looking armoured cable in awkward places to get the feed in. It can be solved so easily with the plastic pipe at foundation stage.

Looking forward to seeing the plans ;)

Paul

10 years ago I built a double garage with an integral workshop.I found out from the local planning office that if the structure was more than 5 mtrs from my property and more than 5 mtrs from my boundary (owned land) then there was no restriction on size as long it was built in sympathy with our existing house, ie stone and with a slate roof. I built it 9m x 12m .the workshop is 9m x 3.5m.
If I remember correctly I only had to submit a plan and it was subject to building regs.Took me over 3 years to finish! worth the effort though.

Roppa: It seems that the planning rules changed quite a lot in 2008 so I think things are a bit different now.

Dibs: How far did you get the concrete pumped? I've got to go about 150ft from the road will that work? (Not meaning to hijack this post!).

I had concrete pumped about that far without problem. Went over next door neighbours fence and through their garden.

You have to remember you need to take the whole load so have somewhere for them to dump any excess or a secondary project that may need concrete.

Mick

dh7892":1ucxwdud said:
Roppa: It seems that the planning rules changed quite a lot in 2008 so I think things are a bit different now.

Dibs: How far did you get the concrete pumped? I've got to go about 150ft from the road will that work? (Not meaning to hijack this post!).

Mine was pumped around 25m so can't see 45m or so being an issue. That's with the pipes laid on the ground setup (much cheaper) as opposed to the articulated arm set (much dearer).

You just need to tell the concrete supplier the concrete grade (as spec'd - mine was RC45) and that you require pump grade. Lafarge - who I used & were the cheapest - are all over the place, worth checking with your local one, as local plants usually have a pump contractor they work with.

dh7892":bm09hfu5 said:
I had 27 cubic metres pumped nearly 200 feet, no trouble at all. Find a pumping company, tell then the strength you need and they'll tell you what mix they need the concrete to be (a wet mix that pumps ok).

Back