John Boddy catalogue / wood identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been looking at the John Boddy (Boroughbridge) website for another member and downloaded their general catalogue.

http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/req ... alogue.htm

It has some large very good photographs of hardwoods which I feel would be of interest in identifying timber (a question often posted on the forum).

Note, it's a 44mb pdf file as the cat is 160 pages

Bob

I went there 2 weeks ago and was very dissapointed by the lack of tools and limited availability of sized boards and squares. I only came awy with 1 Bubinga board.

Mike Wingate":1ev084re said:
I went there 2 weeks ago and was very dissapointed by the lack of tools and limited availability of sized boards and squares. I only came awy with 1 Bubinga board.

That really is disappointing Mike.

I was planning a run down there later this month but need to have a re-think if it's now so poor as it's an hour and a half away. We have a real dearth of suppliers and tool shops in my area.

Bob

I used to buy loads of planks for guitar bodies and neck, 2" thick Bubinga, Am Black Walnut, Padauk, Imbua, Wenge, plus bits and bobs for turning and random pieces of Yew. Nothing for me this time. I even came equiped with saws to cut up the planks to fit into our VW camper van. All I got was a 4' length of Bubinga to make some plane totes, nothing suitable for knobs and no tools bought. Very dissapointing. We stayed on a campsite near Knaresborough and then went off to Northumberland and the Borders for a windy but dry holiday. Enjoyed the coast and visited the Farne Islands on a calm day. Great, but no toolshops, no tools in antiquey shops. Very impressed with Newcastle, clean, tidy interesting.

If you are in North Yorks I would recommend Snainton woodturning.
They have most things that I ever want in the way of wood , tools and spares.
They are on line so why not have a look.
Willy.

Mike Wingate":3im9oaus said:
I used to buy loads of planks for guitar bodies and neck, 2" thick Bubinga, Am Black Walnut, Padauk, Imbua, Wenge, plus bits and bobs for turning and random pieces of Yew. Nothing for me this time. I even came equiped with saws to cut up the planks to fit into our VW camper van. All I got was a 4' length of Bubinga to make some plane totes, nothing suitable for knobs and no tools bought. Very dissapointing. We stayed on a campsite near Knaresborough and then went off to Northumberland and the Borders for a windy but dry holiday. Enjoyed the coast and visited the Farne Islands on a calm day. Great, but no toolshops, no tools in antiquey shops. Very impressed with Newcastle, clean, tidy interesting.
Hi Mike

Looks as if they've turned most of their attention to hardwood flooring and I suppose you can't blame them. I used to go regularly when passing and they had a huge variety as well as a good tool shop though few machines. They used to supply to other retailers as well including one in Northumberland.

Glad you enjoyed Northumberland, I live just north of Morpeth and we have some glorious scenery and coastlines around us. (some of my sons' photos show these... ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/stu82/ and http://www.northumbriaphotography.co.uk/ ) if you're interested.

The borders are special also. we drove to Wooler / Coldstream / Kelso / Jedburgh a couple of weeks ago for a thoroughly enjoyable day out.

If you are in North Yorks I would recommend Snainton woodturning. They have most things that I ever want in the way of wood , tools and spares. They are on line so why not have a look. Willy.

Thanks Willy
Will definately check that out

cheers
Bob

Very hit and miss I've found for quality of selection, went hunting for some cherry and ABW last year and came away with nothing. Went to Lavers in Leeds instead and came away much happier with a bootful of timber.

British Hardwoods in Keighley also very good.

I have the paper version of that Boddies catalogue though and that is useful/interesting

Hi Peter
Have only just seen you post as we've been away getting very wet for a couple of weeks in Norfolk. :lol:
I don't have the file on my laptop but will possibly be on a back up file somewhere, if I can find it I'll drop you a message.
Bob

Latest posts

Back