Jigsaw Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinj

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 100:00 to buy a 750W Jigsaw that will need to have variable speed and be able to cut metal and wood. I quite like Black and Decker tools but can anyone else suggest an alternative that will give good service as It will have to last me into retirement.

Hi colinj

try these for size

Hitachi

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 1&id=54448

Bosch

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 5&id=39071

Dewalt

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&id=33420

i have the dewalt myself and it is a good saw as is the Bosch, i realise these are above your budget but worth the stretch if poss

The Hitachi is bang on the money and i see all three makes on site every day of the week and they all take the abuse well

You may well be able to get a better price for any of these by trawling the net

generally these saws are more of a proffesional tool than the black and decker which is a more of a hobby tool although it is from the same stable as Dewalt.

Hope this helps

i have the bosch and it's the best JS i have ever owned. There is a post giving a discount code for screwfix with £20 off :wink:

I've had all sorts including several Bosch, I am now on my second Makita as Colin C links to, I reckon it's the best I've ever had. Mine has a very hard life, all day every day, I never bother to get any repaired as I reckon it's more cost efficient to just buy a new one.
I seem to remember it was cheaper than that, from screwfix.

If you can find the extra notes then my vote is also with the Bosch. Very reliable and very accurate - a pleasure to use and seems to be as tough as old boots.

Cheers

Tim

silly question, why 750, and why variable speed????

at this time B&Q are offering specials on Ryobi 550 which comes with
30 blades, wood and metal, and an mp3 player. all for less than 30 quid.
better than B&D in my view. but then i do have a makita, but that was more than a ton.

surely a lot depends upon how often it is being used.

paul :wink:

engineer one":2e6gcwsh said:
surely a lot depends upon how often it is being used.

I would agree with you Paul for a lot of power tools eg sanders, drills etc but I think that cutting tools in particular are more to do with accuracy than anything else.

A cheap jigsaw can obviously benefit from a good blade but it still needs the basic capability to do a reasonable and accurate cut irrespective of its usage frequency. In my experience, cheaper jigsaws are often rubbish no matter how often they are used. That obviously may not be the case with the Ryobi - I've heard reasonable things about them of late.

Cheers

Tim

blimey tim, someone agreeing with me, that'll never do :lol: :roll:

remember that these tools are actually discounted. but i do agree about cutting tools and cheapness.

you need to consider what you are trying to do, and then chose the best tool for the job. since i rarely use a jigsaw, my question was one of why are you using it, and would another tool not be better to use???

ta anyway.

paul :wink:

Bosch get my vote here too. I have owned two of the 750Watt models and they are great, tough, and reliable. Only reason I sold the original one was the voltage was 110 Volts and I wanted 240. I have seen these kicking about sites in the past and they are very often abused daily but still keep on going. Yup, Bosch for me everytime with a jig saw. :wink:

I use a Bosch tho' have heard good things about the Makita stuff, interestingly fairly good range of Makita stuff is available at B&Q now (inc a jig saw) so they may be quite well priced - rob

Some time ago Scrit started a thread on this Bosch GST 135 BCE Jigsaw
307376_l.jpg

£135 from Axminster

He even linked it to a video so a search for Bosch GST 135 BCE Jigsaw started by scrit will probably find the video link.

I bought one local for £140 plus a few extras it is superb and boy can it saw through thick timber good.

Ibought the same Bosch one as Lord Nibbo from Axminster when they had it on offer for £129,can`t fault it in any way. :D

Back