Jewelry Box in Ash and Ebony

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
It's the Wife's birthday today (yes, great timing :lol: ) and I've made her a litle gift - a jewelry box.
I've used timbers from my personal hoard - ripple ash and Macassar ebony. Construction was straightforward rebated butt joints for the carcase with the top and base joined with a simple tongue/rebate. The box was glued up as one (with the top and base floating in their grooves) and the box cut into two on the table saw to separate the lid. A lift out tray was made using half-lap joints, a small handle shaped from an offcut of ebony and a pair of brass hinges chopped in. After cleaning up the outer surfaces with a smoothing plane I applied the large chamfer around the top of the lid and eased all corners.Finish is blonde shellac, about eight coats wiped on with a rag - the inner surfaces were pre-finished before I glued it up.
Took a day start to finish, and the Missus was very pleasd with it. Must say, I was unsure of the butt joint carcase joints as I would have prefered to dovetail it, but was very short on time. But it came out very nicely - beautiful timber makes the work so much easier!
Cheers
Philly :D
box1.jpg

box2.jpg

I cut the tenon for the knob first using a saw, then rasps and files to get it to shape. Up through the grades of sandpaper to get it shiny!
Cheers

That is lovely Phil. The timbers look great together, and i love the shellac finish. That should get you out of washing up on xmas day.

Oh yeh very nice. I think the rebated joint looks very nice, but you can hardly see it which makes the whole thing blend in. The timbers are just drool-worthy.

Well done mate.

Philly,

very nice box,and a good days work. the only thing that I think lets it down (not a criticism !) is, it would look better with slot head screws in the hinges rather than pozi ones.

Mark.

Happy birthday to the misses. Good timing both ways as well, 10 hours?

my wifes birthday is the 31st December which is more onerous than yours.

Got any wood left? I've got some small pieces of exotic Aussie stuff.

And a nice box.

(BTW what is that metal fitting worked into your work bench under box?)

Philly":3284j52d said:
Construction was straightforward rebated butt joints for the carcase with the top and base joined with a simple tongue/rebate.

Well, at least it shows how much you care... :roll: :oops:

:D :wink:

Seriously though, with timber like that for the sides, I think you were right to keep the corner joints 'simple' - the rays on that ash is going to get all the attention. Is rippled ash easy to come by? I've not seen it before.

Really like the tray, handle and everything else - though, I do agree with Mark's comment on the screws! [-X :wink:

OPJ":2f5vv6wk said:
I do agree with Mark's comment on the screws! [-X :wink:

...and with the screw heads being flush with the hinge surface, but that's me being picky :wink: - Rob

Thanks Gents!
John, the metal plate is for a kreg bench clamp, an adjustable hold-down. A useful accessory!
The screws - yes, if I had suitable ones that fitted I would have replaced them. Getting tiny brass screws is not easy nowadays.
The ash was a lucky find - it was as easy to work as regular ash. I was hoping the lovely figuring would grab all the attention - mission accomplished :lol:
And yes, the Missus was very pleased with it. So now I can get back to work on the porch, Waka.
Cheers

Lovely job Philly - I do love wooden boxes :wink:

They lift is superb and I think I'll be plagiarising that design in the very near future :lol:

I normally buy brass screws locally from Toolstation or, if I'm placing a larger order, online from Isaac Lord. Both offer a good range of sizes; quality is good and pricing between the two is pretty even. :)

Back