Jewellery box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
A present for a friends daughter who has just qualified for the Royal Army Medical Corps. Got a tie pin from their museum, removed the badge and set it into the lid.

Andy

Box 5.jpg

Box 1.jpg

Box 2.jpg

Box 3.jpg

Box 4.jpg

Attachments

• Box 5.jpg
    Box 5.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Box 1.jpg
    Box 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Box 2.jpg
    Box 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Box 3.jpg
    Box 3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Box 4.jpg
    Box 4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,466
Very attractive piece of work.
Nice to see a variation on strengthening the mitre joints, very decorative.
Have you used walnut and maple for the main box? And what veneer have you used on the lid?
Of course the lady in question won't be happy until it is overflowing with jewellery and that perfectly fitting lid won't close :D

phil.p":1jkiwpy7 said:
Yes, my wife couldn't see a box without finding a way of tearing the hinges out. She has a man who goes around after her fixing things. Me.
I know what you're talking about! Now my daughter wants me to make one for her and I'm sure it's going to be the same with her. She comes up with new flyers and brochures every day to show me what it should look like so I think I'm gonna have to find a way to create the perfect combination of all those different styles :? The only thing that's for sure is that it has to be girly...
Yours looks really classy andersonec! I really like the idea with the pin =D>

Very crisp details there, as mentioned above, the mitre splines look superb. Would you care to share any more details of construction, particularly the lid? I am currently on boxes number 3 and 4, and am rather keen to acquire any tips/ideas :)
What have you finished it in?

Cheers,
Adam

+ 1 to all those appreciative comments - that really looks very smart indeed, especially the contrasting veneer keys on the mitres! I hope you have some more w-i-p pictures - I'd certainly like to see them.

Beautiful box. I'm sure she will be delighted and I too like the detail in the mitre splines. Great attention to detail.

Gerard Scanlan":3cc07986 said:
Very attractive piece of work.
Nice to see a variation on strengthening the mitre joints, very decorative.
Have you used walnut and maple for the main box? And what veneer have you used on the lid?
Of course the lady in question won't be happy until it is overflowing with jewellery and that perfectly fitting lid won't close :D

Walnut and Maple used throughout, the veneer on the lid is four matched pieces of walnut burr

James C":3cc07986 said:
I have a question.

What kind of lining do you use? And how do you apply it?

James,

The lining used here is Pigskin, it is the first time I have used it, it was kindly sent to me by 'Marcross' a regular contributor on these forums, I cut some card 1.5mm smaller that the space it is to fit (this measurement is obtained by gluing a scrap of leather round a piece of card and measuring the difference, before and after) spray glue onto the card, place onto leather, cut the corners and fold 5/10mm spare over after applying more glue. The ring holders are pieces of sponge wrapped with a piece of leather, the joining is glued with contact adhesive and the ends carefully cut to give a snug fit. The pigskin is readily available in various colours on ebay.

Kalimna":3cc07986 said:
Very crisp details there, as mentioned above, the mitre splines look superb. Would you care to share any more details of construction, particularly the lid? I am currently on boxes number 3 and 4, and am rather keen to acquire any tips/ideas :)
What have you finished it in?

Cheers,
Adam

The lid is 9mm Birch ply let into a pre-cut rebate in the sides, it is veneered prior to letting in, the burr veneer is not brought to the edges because when the lid glue is dry, a rebate is cut (table saw a then router table) to allow a strip of Maple to be applied, a 1.8mm black line is then inlaid where the veneer and maple meet to hide the join and add a little detail, everything is then scraped flush. It is finished with a coat of shellac sanding sealer, danish oil then waxed (most of these techniques have been graciously passed on by Ian Hawthorne) the lid is separated using a thin Japanese saw and the a very very thin cut is taken on the router table passing the box from left to right between the cutter and the fence to clean up the saw cut and make a nice straight finished edge.

AndyT":3cc07986 said:
+ 1 to all those appreciative comments - that really looks very smart indeed, especially the contrasting veneer keys on the mitres! I hope you have some more w-i-p pictures - I'd certainly like to see them.
The mitre keys are made with scrap veneer. I have a small, cheap flat ground blade from Atkinson-Walker for the table saw which I use only for these keys and five layers of veneer fit perfectly, obviously an odd number (5) allows a fairly wide choice of selection of different layers, hope you understand my double dutch) In the Walnut sides I have one layer of Maple on the outside and three layers of Walnut on the inside, in the Maple trays I have done them the other way round, Walnut on the outside and Maple inside.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments folks, no WIP pictures I'm afraid, maybe next time.

Andy

Latest posts

Back