Jewellery box dimensions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
What are the Ideal dimensions ratio front sides back and thickness for making a jewellery box.

thecoder":hd39nquq said:
What are the Ideal dimensions ratio front sides back and thickness for making a jewellery box.

i dont think that there are any set rules.

i use 3 x 2 x 1- width x depth x height, and to keep it simple 300mm (ish) 200mm (ish) 100mm (between this and 125mm), although it is all approximate. square/cubic will work too.

They look about right to me- you cant notice an inch here or there as standing out on this scale- obviously on smaller ones that inch would be more significant. the sizes above are approximately A4, which is how i first judged what looked about right. i think it was a couple of reams tall too, so i could visualise it. i normally split the lid about 3- 3 1/2" inches from the bottom, depending on where the grain suits it- avoiding pips in pippy oak for example. there was a formula to divide the height by to work it out exactly, but i forget what it is.

i used 6mm mdf for tops and bases on my latest. 9mm would work, maybe even 12mm. just bare in mind that the lid can start to look a bit thin if you left an inch and a half, then inset a piece of 12mm mdf + double veneer, then plane a mm off to make it flush, then plane where the lid meets the base by a mm to make it flush etc. i use a timber thickness of 15mm give or take. 3/4" looked a bit chunky, so i thicknessed it down a few more swipes until it seemed not too chunky nor too delicate.

Since I had none to start with, when i bought mdf, i opted for moisture resistant stuff. dont know if it makes a difference for machining, but Lawcris were so cheap compared to B and Q's standard stuff, I still saved money.

HTH
Mark

i will add, that i actually normally go for 320 x 220 x 125mm, so that if i balls up a joint somewhere i can still produce a box in the region of 300x200x100. this was from when i tried using the Leigh jig the first time!

yes- get the hardware first, or at least know what you plan to use and its size.

Latest posts

Back