Jet Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been looking at buying a thicknesser for a while and being a hobby woodworker could not justify the cost of a makita or dewalt.
Came to the conclusion that Charnwood, SIP and Jet were basically the same machine so I have decided to buy the Jet 318mm model bacause it was 10kg lighter than the SIP and has a dust extraction hood unlike the Charnwood.
Oh and also it seemed a good deal on Ebay for £140 (New unused model returned back) compared to the Axminster price of £209.

Any views on the Jet would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Harry

Don't know a thing about the Jet Harry but any thicknesser that only lifts on one pair of pillars will always end up planing one side thicker than the other, so if it lifts on the one side only I personally wouldn't touch it.
I have a DeWalt that I picked after a show, so got it well below RRP, and this lifts and lowers the table evenly on the both sides.

I had the Jet for a while. It died after about 2 years, and I replaced it with the more expensive and larger Axminster. I would say though that the Jet was better in some ways. The dust extraction is excellent meaning that there is no possibility of chips marking the surface. The finish was also excellent. I did have a problem with snipe though, but I just made sure I cut pieces oversize, so I could trim off the snipe. I think the problem was that it didn't have a cutterhead lock. All in all its a very good machine for the price.

I've seen both the JWP-12 and JPM-13. They are build to good quality and can outperform the makita and dewalt depending on what your goal is. The JWP-12 has far less than what JPM-13 offers but for that price its hard to beat I reckon.

Thanks for all the replies,

Reading all the reviews on the different table top thicknessers, it seems that although buying the so called better brand names you increase your odds of picking a decent machine but it does not mean all the machines at the bottom end are poor quality every now and again you can pick up a real bargain
I just hope I am one of those lucky ones!

At least gives me the excuse to buy a decent dust collector and throw the old Hoover out.

Thanks again

Harry :?

Well the thicknesser arrived today. No set up required out of the box, gave it a go on some old ipe deck boards left over and I was more than pleased with the finish, smooth as a babies you now what and no snipe ( well there may have been but I'm no expert!).
However I definetely need a dust extractor as the old Hoover finally died trying to keep up with the Planer.
I was thinking of the Axminster WV or Record rsde1 any suggestions on these 2 models.

Overall well pleased with my purchase.

Harry

Harry,
not sure about the Axminster VW, but the RDES1 is a dust collector which is more suited to finer dust, as opposed to a Chip collector which you will need for a thicknesser or planer/jointer as they produce lots,and I do mean LOTS :lol: of Chippings.
those drum types are great for smaller volumes of sawdust but hooked up toa thicknesser you will be emptying it more often than not....

HTH

Harry! As my workshop is quite small I use the small portable Perform from Axminster and it sorts out my DeWalt thicknesser ok. I have modified the unit by making the bag/filter empty from the bottom as it can be a bit of a swine from the 100mm end.

Roy.

My workshop also doubles up as the garage so what I need is a extractor which will also work with the router table, triton workcentre and preferably portable enough to shove under the bench when not in use.
Hence the need for a drum extractor.

Harry

have a look at the RSDE2, it's a real work horse. I use it on my Triton setup

what I need is a extractor which will also work with the router table, triton workcentre and preferably portable enough to shove under the bench when not in use.

The Perform, and similar models, deal with my table saw, planer, thicknesser, and bandsaw and is portable or can be wall hung.
I use a vacuum cleaner on my router bench.
And it's smaller than a drum type and cheap!

Roy.

Thanks Digit, I can see where you are coming from but I don't think I have the space for the Perform along with the kids bikes, washing machine etc.
As for a vacuum cleaner for the router table, I reckon i need to buy something with a bit more extraction power just to give my lungs a breather.

I am not to concerned about the chippings in the long term more so the fine dust usually not very visible generated by router tables, sanders etc.

Cheers

Harry

harryc":1i30tmbo said:
I am not to concerned about the chippings in the long term
I think you will find that you need to get the shavings away from the thicknesser, unless it throws them clear of the machine. On most of these machines the cutter head will pull some of the waste back through on to the timber being machined, making the machine labour on long and or wide boards. Some ends up going out on the finished board and is crushed by the rollers pulling the timber out of the cutting head. This will make lots of little dimples in the surface of your timber. :x

O.K Guys no need to be so harsh on a newbie :shock:

I was just being flippant with the floor full to my knees with chippings. I was just highlighting the importance of long term exposure to those dastardly airborne particles.

Please forgive my ignorance :wink:

Harry

Harry,

Sorry if I appeared harsh, I was just trying to stop you repeating the error I made, new thicknesser and no extractor made for wasting several boards and another day to get one picked up. ](*,)

Yep! And the amount of chippings that a decent thicnesser can throw all over the workshop is staggering!

Roy.

harryc":2p153xbx said:
I was more than pleased with the finish, smooth as a babies you now what and no snipe ( well there may have been but I'm no expert!).

Put a straight edge, a good thick strong ruler or an engineers square on the end of a board. It should not rock and when holding it up to a bright light there should be no line of light (or better more light) at the end of the board visible between the metal and the board.

Back