Jet DDS-225 Dual Drum Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footinturf

Reaction score
Has anyone got or has used the Jet DDS-225 Dual Drum Sander. Just wondering what it was like compared to a wide belt or even other drum sanders.

I Have it. It's a cracking piece of kit. It's not as good as a wide belt sander and is limited, but i rate it quite highly. However i didn't buy mine new and if i was going to spend £2.5k i'd buy a second hand wide belt sander.
Hth.

I was considering a wide belt sander. They cheapest ones I could find were around 3.5k and around twenty years old. I have been led to believe that these older ones use alot of air, so I would need another compressor. Another expense is the large extractor required.

Does the Jet require a large extractor?

The extractor side is probable the worst bit. I Have 3 extractors and none of them seem to work as efficiently on it as i'd like. I probably have the wrong type and or the wrong size but my largest it quite large and even that doesn't work great.

The other point i have is 3 phase. I don't think they do this is 240v so it would have 2 be 3 phase. Previously i ran mine off a phase converter and although well within the capacity of it, it often struggled on wider pieces. I assume due to the massive draw on power required. Since i have had 3 phase mains installed it runs like a dream.

What is it your wanting to sand?

Hi Matty

I would advise looking around for a secondhand fine dust extractor such as a dce unimaster similar to this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DCE-UNIMASTER-DUS ... 4398049b58 . These have the filters to cope with fine dust and are totally enclosed as well.

I got mine for about £250 but its worth keeping your eye out for one as they can be picked up cheap occasionally or at auction.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks Jon, that looks like the sort of thing i need.

I have seen plenty of them go through auctions cheap> Now i know what i need i'll try and pick one up.

Back