Japanese? hardwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roles47

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I think this is my first message here.
I don't do much general woodwork but I do make a few bits and bobs, Buttons, Shawl pins model cars, but I think I have just got some Japanese? hardwood.
I say I think because we got some steel at work from a Japanese manufacturer that was nicely packed on a Hardwood pallet, (guess who salvaged it ) so I am assuming it is Japanese Timber.
My query is, does anyone have any knowledge of japanese Hardwoods or know how I can find any pics of same to compare it with. Not done much with it yet but when I've cleaned some up I can post a pic.
www.roleswoodcraft.piczo.com

The Japanese islands are fairly northerly, so temperate-ish, and were traditionally only noted for oak and elm, at least as exportable timbers, however for many years Japan has been a major importer of tropical hardwoods initially from Indonesia and Malaysia and in more recent years from elsewhere in the Pacific Rim, Africa and South America. In the 1970s I used to scavange motorcycle cases from the local Honda and Suziki dealers - many were nondescript softwoods, although some were quite exotic. I can recall getting red meranti, ramin, padang and merbau thst way as well as various other hardwoods I never did identify.

Scrit

Can't help you with the wood, but you have some lovely stuff on your site, i'm very impressed with the models! How do you do these?

Thanks for the response guys.

Scrit....Interesting comments there I had thoughts that it could be a type of Ash, similar sort of grain but much closer.

Byron....Thanks for your comments too. :D the models are just from standard softwood. I cut out the profile sides on Bandsaw and Scrollsaw then cut pieces to the required width to make up the floor, bonnet , boot and roof, then it's a matter of shaping using various methods like bench sander, Dremell and hard graft with sandpaper.

I'll try to get some pics loaded of the aforementioned hardwood later.

Must agree with Byron, some very nice models there.

As to the wood, I'd suggest you take a look at this site which claims to have photos of 680 types of wood from the well known commercial varieties to some of the more obscure types. The only problem is, it'll probably take an age to look through all the photos to try and recognise the species. Hopefully when you post some pictures, someone will be able to name it.

Back