(...I've got the bug!)now how to store planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

A few weeks ago I spent a spell binding evening in a workshop so brim full of exquisite tools I could hardly believe what I was seeing.. an Aladdin's cave of pure craftsmanship & beauty.. and when I say brim full & exquisite I really do mean it (..although I'm only a novice).

All these tools were for sale so I purchased a few beauties - it would've been rude not to. I got a few planes (amongst other things) including my first infill plane, which is a real joy to use. It has a steel outer (sole?) & a Ward blade, but I'm not sure of the wood. I chose this over a deep sea diver's shoe-like brass one..& many more. I also got a Stanley USA, SS, #7 that is just a real revelation! I did not pay flebay/boot fair prices but they were cheaper than new tools so I am more than happy.

So now that I have got them back to my workshop with my other planes I need to know how to store/ hold them (?) ready for use. Just how/where do you keep yours at hand ? I've a borrowed school/college workbench that has open ends for tool storage but the #7 is far too long & the others are getting in each other's way. I've only 7 planes (a small bull nose upto #7).

I've noticed a lot of tool storage solutions but not one for planes.

Thanks
Togs

Great question Togs, as I too am suddenly acquiring them. I think some of the ringleaders should post pictures of how they store theirs ;)

Mine are wrapped in canvas and stored on their sides in a stackable plastic box, with some bubble wrap between them to stop fragile wedges etc. mashing up against the soles of others...

It's very much a temporary solution, as I'm moving to a new house which can accomodate an indoor workshop where the humidity or roof leaking isn't a worry... but I'd got sick of justifying why I had moulding planes living on just about every flat surface in the house.

My long term plan is to rack the frequently used ones (jointer, smoother, jack, scrub, shoulder, 3/8" grooving) by my bench and have some kind of cupboard/pigeon holes for the moulding planes as any given job only needs one or two of them...

Assuming that you work at a bench in a workshop, you need your most frequently used planes in easy reach. In my case, my workshop is a scruffy but dry basement and the shelves are mostly what was already there, supplemented at times using any old scrap wood that was to hand. This old photo shows roughly the 'frequent use' area where the main bench planes are

IMG_3444-1.jpg

and this one shows a run of mostly hollow and round planes plus some rebates and beads:

IMG_0626.jpg

Most of the shelves have a batten at the back so that the cutting edges are off the shelf. Combi planes are in wooden boxes.

Other less-used planes are in a chest of drawers in the opposite corner; some are in boxes awaiting the next shuffle-round - their numbers seem to have gone up a bit beyond the space available. Strange that; I've no idea how it happens. :wink:

(And Togs - what was this Aladdin's cave? Was it the Andrew Varah workshop that Toolsntat Andy posted pictures of, or is there another one?)

I'm sorry to say that it's a pointless exercise Togs.

I made a simple oak one for the planes I had at the time...

DSC_0165.JPG

....but by the time I had finished it...I seem to have acquired some more (sitting on the top) and now...well...I think Jelly struck a chord because I looked at every surface in the house and it would seem they all have at least one if not a "few" planes on them waiting for the new workshop and it's storage.

This photo taken in August....

DSC_2525.JPG

....is now not only full...there are twice as many to put somewhere...... so they are all in the spare room but there are four more Gabriels in the kitchen...one in the workshop on the bench being repaired...the four "serious woodies" are in the cabinet the Art Deco pottery used to be (which is now in the loft)....there's another three infills on my computer desk...and there appears to be a very large piece of metal and burr oak floating around the bench in dire need of finishing.

I think I will just buy some flat pack shelving units for the new shop....and keep one wall free!! :oops:

I am however using all of them at some stage and will continue to do so...therefore I am in no way a "co...." :mrgreen:

Jim

May I suggest a skip ? :)

No, No, thats not me hiding under the bench, thats some other silly person.

538761_465738456804063_1779934599_n.jpg

I use wooden boxes screwed to the wall, supplemented with magnetic toolbars, screws and nails for all the other stuff.

Lining the workshop walls with ply has made storage so much easier.

Blimey - how many planes !? - how many braces !!? Jimi & Andy, you gents have got it bad.. but there is something proper about seeing a shelf full of tools. Just as well you are not into swinging cats.

Matthewh - That is so neat n tidy ..I will aspire to that (as soon as I get the time). I get the idea now.

Thanks Gents.

ps. The Aladdin's cave is in Brum & tops those photo's & then some (it's not a competition mind)..but I'm not sure if he would like me to reveal who he is.. but he is selling mainly on fleabay.

Marcus ; Nice, but is that a boxed no1 sitting in the top corner? Can't quite make it out.

Matthew ; not sure I should be talking to you. You are a BAD influence.

Neil

Hi Neil, if you mean the one in the top left of the pic it's a no 71 (router plane)...

Aha, I couldn't make the 7 out. I was a bit too green for a spell there. Now just a light green. Mind you, I think I may have about as many. But, no, not a collector either.

Thanks

Neil

Its just like the M25 they put in an extra lane and it imediately fills up.

I have been trying for years to find the right place for the right tool

Back