I've been playing!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst waiting for the lacquer coats to dry on the side table I've been making to dry I had a little play with my newly acquired variable speed lathe.

All my turnery is usually incorporated within the furniture or clocks I am usually working on but this was just for fun.

Elm top with English walnut base - a couple of offcuts that came to hand.

DSCF0938-1.jpg

DSCF0931.jpg

I tried to get the elm top as thin as possible and its only a few millimetres thick.

Anyway, the hour I spent doing this meant that the lacquer dried ok.

:lol:

Bluefoxy":3d5b5mnv said:
How did you get that wonderfull finish on it?

Ray

Old fashioned friction polish, applied and cut back, re-applied on the lathe, burnished with shavings and then overpolished with Mylands Light Brown wax before buffing with some soft cloth whilst the lathe was spinning.

I hollowed the bottom because I prefer to see a nice finish rather than just covering with baize - I also wanted the piece to be "light" and therefore removed the weight from the base.

Rog

That looks lovely. Clean lines, smooth finish, very nice.

Out of interest what diameter is it? (I am terrible at working out the scale of peoples turnings)

Looks gorgeous overall, but I think the bottom is the best bit with that deep finish in the hollow, it really highlights the beauty of the wood.

Latest posts

Back