It's my new therapy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GS42

Established Member
Reaction score
Spent some time this morning with the cabinet scraper finishing some oak, it may be my new therapy ;-)
cabinet-scrape.jpg

Spent some time this morning with the cabinet scraper finishing some oak, it may be my new therapy ;-)
View attachment 168209
Do please guard your thumb joints carefully! The surgeons tell me that the joint replacement operations now happening in the USA are not yet considered reliable enough for UK surgeons to consider. There are good scraper benders available, and simple copies are easy to make.

Do please guard your thumb joints carefully! The surgeons tell me that the joint replacement operations now happening in the USA are not yet considered reliable enough for UK surgeons to consider. There are good scraper benders available, and simple copies are easy to make.
Can you point me to these benders please

Thumb burning therapy.
LOL - been there done that.

Seek out Matt Estleas video on YT for sharpening a card scraper. Works for me every time.

I also have the veritas card scraper holder - it's OK. I used it when i had a large surface area, but tend to prefer manual hand holding for smaller things Hence the burnt thumbs. I've posted before on the virtues of the Arno burnisher and cannot recommend this enough.

Seek out Matt Estleas video on YT for sharpening a card scraper. Works for me every time.

I also have the veritas card scraper holder - it's OK. I used it when i had a large surface area, but tend to prefer manual hand holding for smaller things Hence the burnt thumbs. I've posted before on the virtues of the Arno burnisher and cannot recommend this enough.
Im a big fan of small stanley knife blades. Or rather the cheap ones that you get 100 for a fiver.
You can use them sharp,or just rub on a stone sharp edge down they create a good burr.

Im a big fan of small stanley knife blades. Or rather the cheap ones that you get 100 for a fiver.
You can use them sharp,or just rub on a stone sharp edge down they create a good burr.
The Duratool ones from CPC are about £7 iirc - they are way sharper than Stanley FatMax. £20+vat for free delivery, it's not hard to reach.

@fezman , you are a saint my friend !!
Have just watched the video you suggested, followed his instruction and, wow !!!
Suddenly I'm starting to get some shavings.
Thank you, you've made my day (y) (y) 😍

I used to use a Crown one similar to the one @Derek Cohen (Perth Oz) shows above. I had really mixed results. Now I'm pretty sure it would have been operator error, and not the burnisher. Once I saw matt's video and got the Arno one, it has worked every single time, and I can create finer or coarser hooks with it as required. Glad it works for you too @Daniel2

Hi there, I have one of these that I no longer use or need. If you PM me with your name and address I will send it to you . No payment needed. We don't have a post office in our village and I won't be going in to town until Thursday
Alan
Hi Alan
pm sent
Steve

Back