It's a shame forums aren't physical.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theblindwoodturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope folks don't mind me posting this observation lol.

As a blind woodturner, floating around here, I'm listening to the threads and every now and again the words "Image" pop up when my screen reader finds a graphic.

I often wonder what art forms you guys produce.

It's a shame forums aren't physical. I'd love to run my hands in great detail around the various products you make as a source of inspiration.

cheers

lew

theblindwoodturner":2mv0hjj9 said:
Hope folks don't mind me posting this observation lol.

As a blind woodturner, floating around here, I'm listening to the threads and every now and again the words "Image" pop up when my screen reader finds a graphic.

I often wonder what art forms you guys produce.

It's a shame forums aren't physical. I'd love to run my hands in great detail around the various products you make as a source of inspiration.

cheers

lew

Hi Lew,

There are some beautiful things produced by members on this forum. I have always found that the items I produce that provide the most tactile sensations also seem to be the ones I like particularly visually as well.

I don't know what you personal situation is. Does it help at all to have someone describe the piece in question in detail?

Its very easy for sighted people to assume that your experiences will somehow be diluted but we have no idea what it really means to be blind. I suspect its just different.

I appreciate the feel of wood, whether it's being ripped, processed, fine finished or spun. The only problem really that does bug me more than anything is not knowing what the grain in a piece is saying. The feel of the grain is one thing when cut, but when spun on the lathe, it's a question of running my fingers in now and again to the spinning piece at slow revs.

Description of things doesn't really help that much as I have no understanding of colour, pattern, etc as I have no visual memory. someone could say a colour and I would be puzzled.

it's no worry though.

lew

I worked alongside a blind turner for a while and learnt a heck of a lot more than I taught to be honest. I used to see the way he felt shape and texture and saw things that I couldn't. Now I often close my eyes to feel things when finishing a piece. Like you Lew he had no conception of colour but had a wonderful sense of shape and form but through his fingers.

Pete

Back