Is your name apt??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No probs senior senior, junior senior senior it is :D Does this sound like a Spanish lesson to you?? :D

DomValente":34fo8kjz said:
I can trace my paternal family tree back to the 17th century when one of my ancestors was charged with the protection of the monastery of Monte Cassino in southern Italy he was a knight, shining armour and all that, which is rather appropriate as my surname( Valente ) translates as Valiant. :)
Only to be sullied by another ancestor who was hanged as a pirate in 1850. :?

Dom
Is a small world my ancestors came from Monte Cassino in southern Italy, till some were deported?????????. My surname is Forte.

Well I might not be apt, but can anyone else beat the pedigree?

I can trace my ancestors directly back to 1285. I've done it myself to early 1600s, but I got stuck (there are two Williams who begat two Thomases and I don't know who belonged to whom), but there is a Maskery Society (yes, really) who are into this sort of thing. I went to Infants' School with a Jeffrey Maskrey. We assumed we were unrelated at the time because I am a Maskery and he is a Maskrey, but it turns out that out grandparents' grandparents were two and the same. Of course, ordinary people didn't write much, so the name was written down by the vicar or whoever in the register, just as it sounded to him.

This guy Jeff has traced us back to 1285, when Henri de Masacrier was selling meat at Nottingham Castle. That means we have moved about 4.5 miles in 722 years!

Massacrier is from the same root as "massacre" , which is of course the butcher bit, and today there are towns and tribes in present-day Oman called Maskri.

So the (unproven) theory is that we originated in the middle east, came over to Spain with the Moors, moved up through France and came over with Billy or shortly afterwards. Hey, I'm an economic migrant! :)

All true, I assure you.
Steve

shedhead":2sbbx2ft said:
DomValente":2sbbx2ft said:
I can trace my paternal family tree back to the 17th century when one of my ancestors was charged with the protection of the monastery of Monte Cassino in southern Italy he was a knight, shining armour and all that, which is rather appropriate as my surname( Valente ) translates as Valiant. :)
Only to be sullied by another ancestor who was hanged as a pirate in 1850. :?

Dom
Is a small world my ancestors came from Monte Cassino in southern Italy, till some were deported?????????. My surname is Forte.

O.K. you win, Can't top that :)

Shedhead, Dom, do we need an instant lesson in Italian History (well, I guess pre-Italian history?) in order to understand that? It sounds intriguing!

Cheers
Steve

Forte from Monte Cassino , or the family of, are the Forte's. i.e. Charles Forte of the hotels which became Trust House Forte (THF) which in turn was bought out by , I believe, Ladbrokes or some such
Charles Forte died very recently but his son Rocco and his daughter have restarted the hotels with several Bijou hotels in London and around the country.

Dom

I don’t know much about my ancestors other than they came from Monte Cassino in southern Italy. I don’t think they were citizens of the year as they were deported to Sicily for some reason. They probably started the Mafia?
In the early 1900’s a lot of the family made there way over to Britain, drifting in at different times. It was an unwritten law that as each family arrived the ones that had made a start, would help the new arrivals financially until they were in a position to pay back. My grandfather Carmine Forte did indeed lend money to the Forte’s that grew into the vast Trust House Forte empire, and you guessed it apart from a I.O.U. written on a tattered piece of paper ( which has now been lost ) the mighty clan did not pay anything to my side. I don’t even think they know we exist.
Well that’s my claim to fame

Cheese is my surname - can you better that? I do enjoy a bit from time to time, preferably french, with a good wine!

Have had the name for 50+ years now and still it amuses me to have to spell it out for the incredulous. Cheese 'as in mousetraps' is the usual way I do it. I understand I am one of the original Cheshire Cheeses. Have answered to various names over the years like Gorganzola (back when no one had ever tasted something so exotic) to my personal favourite Stinka' as in 'stinka' cheese'.

Apparently John Cleese's family were Cheese too once but the grandfather changed his name when he joined the army in 1915. Probably wouldn't take him seriously with a name like Cheese would you?

regards

Colin

Back