Is there a secret to punching masonry nails?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto

Established Member
Reaction score
Stupid question I know, but is there a special technique for punching masonry nails below the surface of a skirting board - just enough to allow for filler. Does it need a really big punch and a lump hammer? Try as I might with a 20 oz Estwing and the biggest punch I've got, can't sink the nail heads, the punch just dances off.
Trying to attach pre finished oak skirting boards - so can't screw and plug them - to some badly plastered walls made from 9" blocks, gripfill is not enough.

I'm a cabinet maker not a joiner Otto so I really don't have a clue, but isn't the process to set wooden blocks into the mortar between the bricks and nail the skirting board to these with regular nails? Or is that just what they did in olden days!

might be worth removing the plaster upto just below the skirting line if it's very poor or old, then attack blocks or battens to the wall to pack it out. I wouldn't replace the plaster as that can cause damp and ventilation issues.

also... may be a stupid question, but are you using the right sort of nails? I assume you will be using either brad head or lost head, if brad head that may be the issue as lost head are easier to punch in. If using actual masonry nails then they may just not be able to fully penetrate the wall, depending on what the wall is made of and they just are not really designed for this job

However, I have only fit skirting a couple of times and always under the instruction of a more qualified joiner so my advise here will probably be limited... only other suggestion I can think of is maybe try a larger punch, as it may be less likely to slip off

Hi Otto
I hate masonry nails so i use 3'' lost head nails . Tap your nails through the skirting just enough to mark the plaster behind, then remove the skirting. Use a masonry drill with a bit the same size as dowel say 8mm or 10mm , drill the marks hammer in the dowels and refit the skirt.

Hope this Helps Bern

Great minds think alike you beat me to it Ace

+1 -MMUK. If you find the centres of the parts that need pulling to the wall, you can also pack behind the skirting to position it where you wish - sometimes you need to go with what looks right rather than pulling the board dead to the wall. This is much more difficult to do with nails than with screws.

Personally I would never use nails..... If the fixing is not spot on it can easily pull out, thye can crumble the bricks behind and it always seems as your hammering in a nail one end of the board it will put the one on the other end out. Pain in the a**e. Plus you still have to fill the holes and trying to get a filler to match a timber and not look rubbish is difficult.

Screwed and pluged gives a good solid fixing and allows for fine adjustment when winding them in. Plugging the screws holes is not difficult with a decent plug cutter and srew digger. And with a bit of playing you should be able to match any finish. I quite like the look of plugged holes and if measured neatly they can be quite a nice uniform feature..... if you really look for them. In time they tend to blend in.

Back