Is there a clever way to support shelves under a slope, like the Hafele 5mm shelf supports?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmgmgm

Established Member
Reaction score
I am building some shelves to go in an attic room. The top half has a sloping side, to match the sloping ceiling above. Call it 45 degrees.

I like the little Hafele 5mm shelf supports for making shelves slightly adjustable, but these don't of course work for a 45 degree slope, as the shelves need to almost hang off the sloping MDF! Is there a clever widget out there which would work on a slope?

Can you put in rebates prior to assembly and then slot the shelves in?
Do you have a domino?
In fact, if you drilled a pair of dowels through the shelf and cab, and a 5mm hafelle shelf support, it'd self support....
See pik

Attachments

• 20230312_230249.jpg
    20230312_230249.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I am building some shelves to go in an attic room. The top half has a sloping side, to match the sloping ceiling above. Call it 45 degrees.

I like the little Hafele 5mm shelf supports for making shelves slightly adjustable, but these don't of course work for a 45 degree slope, as the shelves need to almost hang off the sloping MDF! Is there a clever widget out there which would work on a slope?
I’m failing to understand the problem.

I do have some shelves that are extremely narrow, so much so that they are not stable with regular shelf pins, the answer to that is shelf pins with screw holes so they are locked to the shelves and the shelves are stable. The screws are easy enough to take out if I want to adjust the spacing.

of course this may have nothing to do with your need as, as I say your explanation doesn’t make the problem clear to me.

I may be missing something here but I don't see how you could have adjustable shelving as each shelf would have to be a specific length for its given position therefore a permanent fixing would be suitable. Depending on the size of the space and the items to be stored etc I would use one or more fixed vertical faces allowing adjustable shelving in the rectangular sections and leaving quirky fixed triangular storage.

1678705650791.png

Thanks all! Some great ideas. Yes, it's impossible to make the shelf truly "adjustable" as the length of each shelf is different, but I'm looking for a way to make it fairly easy to pull a shelf out and put in another one (or cut an existing one down). Books are never the same height :-( Ideally I'd pre-drill all the holes now to avoid too much work post-installation.

I think using a dowel/domino will be the easiest way. Or pulleyt's step shelves idea. Thanks!

Thanks all! Some great ideas. Yes, it's impossible to make the shelf truly "adjustable" as the length of each shelf is different, but I'm looking for a way to make it fairly easy to pull a shelf out and put in another one (or cut an existing one down). Books are never the same height :-( Ideally I'd pre-drill all the holes now to avoid too much work post-installation.
There is nothing stopping you from drilling shelf pin holes, though the usual situation is that you drill a series so you can adjust them, the practical situation is that once the shelves are set for hight the shelf pins are virtually never changed.
so just drill for I set of pins in each location.

There are a verity of styles available from pins to L brackets, the ones I described above are here7EFFDEF0-3E7C-4972-8F04-F66FC6134F41.jpeg

Back