Is the color the same

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head clansman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Is the Blue paint colour of record vices the same shade of color used for the record planes if so anyone know what the color code is please . hc :)

Hi HC,

I don't know if the colours are the same (even the plane colours appear to have varied), however if you visit recordcollector's site recordhandplanes.com he lists the colour ("roundel blue") and the manufacturer ("Stokes" I think).

Several people have used Smoothrite" ("dark blue") to repaint their Record planes - it's fairly close, but I've not had much success with it.

HTH.

Cheers, Vann.

hi Vann

thanks for that , I Looked at his site yesterday and never spotted that about the color , where about on the site is it .?

I did notice on others post that some had used hammerite smooth paint , I was hoping someone would know what the correct color code was so I could go to my local paint dealers and get it mixed, I like to get the little details spot on if I can, But at least with one manufacture name and the color name this is now a good starting point. Thanks Vann. hc :D 8)

hi bugbear

thanks for that , i did scroll down that page but never went far enough , interesting read , all i need to know there , much obliged. hc

Hi HC

I did my No.7 with Hammerite Smooth Blue...

030820091142.jpg

It was almost all rust before so I had to recoat it....

020820091112.jpg

....but I don't really subscribe to paint accuracy....it was for use....by me...and I am happy.

030820091141.jpg

Cheers mate....

Jim

head clansman":1d5n1xsn said:
hi Jim

nice plane , you wouldn't becoming a collector now by any chance would you :?: :roll: hc :wink: :lol:

That was the very first one I restored mate....then a No. 4 or three...and the latest No. 4 1/2 and No. 5 1/2..

DSC_0014.JPG

It cuts beautifully....

DSC_0039.JPG

I was a bit green back then...I thought it was the nuts but it needs more fettling now that I have experienced a few. I have another one in a box...another bootfair job..

What I really need to do is start work on my acoustic but this restoration of tools is fun!

Jim

Hi,

Its a way to spend a Sunday, Bootfair in the morning then scraping rust in the afternoon, but some times you comback with more than an afternoons work!!

Pete

hi Jim

keep going Jim , when you have all the tools you need restored , just think how easy and nice it will be to do all those job you been promising her in door for year , then what will we do :-k :duno: .hc :wink: :lol:

head clansman":32iie1k3 said:
hi Jim

keep going Jim , when you have all the tools you need restored , just think how easy and nice it will be to do all those job you been promising her in door for year , then what will we do :-k :duno: .hc :wink: :lol:

HA! True...very true! I get distracted though...she's been wanting me to put a screw in a tree for her washing line for weeks now...I am buliding up to it....

:D :D 8)

Jim

Back