Is my dust extractor up to the job?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an Elektra Beckum SPA 1100 dust extractor that I use with my Charnwood W609 table saw, router table, mitre saw extraction hood, belt sander and a PT when I get one.

I’m currently wheeling the extractor around the workshop and connect with a 5m flexi hose. I’m now wanting something a little more permanent so looking to plumb it in with 100mm plastic pipe, but before I do I want to make sure the extractor will be suitable for a long run of pipe, perhaps 10m from extractor to furthest machine?

Additionally I’m wanting advise on the use of Y or T pieces, yes I know you are meant to use Ys but will Ts be ok?

Also has anyone used the 100mm Manrose ducting from Screwfix?

Thanks

Simon89":2yn61hkg said:
Hi all,

I have an Elektra Beckum SPA 1100 dust extractor that I use with my Charnwood W609 table saw, router table, mitre saw extraction hood, belt sander and a PT when I get one.

I’m currently wheeling the extractor around the workshop and connect with a 5m flexi hose. I’m now wanting something a little more permanent so looking to plumb it in with 100mm plastic pipe, but before I do I want to make sure the extractor will be suitable for a long run of pipe, perhaps 10m from extractor to furthest machine?

Additionally I’m wanting advise on the use of Y or T pieces, yes I know you are meant to use Ys but will Ts be ok?

Thanks

Hi Simon, not familiar with the EB model you have but the easiest way to find out, if you're in a position to do so, is to build your extraction system and you'll find out soon enough. If it's more than up to the job drawing over 5m with the 100mm flexi I'd imagine it will ok. Perhaps somebody has a similar model and will be able to offer more accurate advice.
Ys are ok if used in conjunction with blast gates and/or a Y has one leg of reduced diameter, such as on a router table if you have the bigger port on the fence as well as a smaller one below the router, similar on the TS with the main port and an overhead blade port if you need that. Try and not "dilute" the draw to the extractor.
Air flow likes gradual bends so Ts are generally a no-no. They are also the first place a jam or block will occur.
Can't comment on the Manrose although it doesn't look too expensive, just make sure it's reasonably stiff and rigid. Also check out your local builder's merchant for rain water spec 100mm/4" pipe, think it's slightly cheaper than the sewer spec type.
You'll also need to look at building/buying blast gates. Try and build/buy the type that slides completely through from side to side, so that there's no chance of sawdust getting trapped.

You might find that the EB struggles a bit when you get a PT connected up over a distance mine did,gave it to neighbour just starting on his journey into wood working when i upgraded to a twin bag 3hp machine that now lives in its own little add on to the workshop .

Simon89":2r72s59m said:

Thanks

Yes - no problems at all. Fitted straight onto my aluminium blast gates and I used y pieces and 45 degree bends. I think the thing to do is to have the shortest run to your most demanding machines - the planer etc.

Oh, and buy it from TLC electrical. Much cheaper than screwfix and a bigger selection.

Awesome thanks for the tip Peter. Will pick up some from TLC and give it a go, I imagine I won’t use a PT on a daily basis so could always move the dust extractor to the PT when required.

While on the topic of dust extractors mine is the same as this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metabo-Dust- ... cvip-panel

Is the filter on the top any good or do I really need to get something finer?

Thanks

Back