Is it possible to get zero snipe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This could go on forever, there are so many different circumstances, long boards, short boards, thick boards, thin boards, different woods and so on.

When doing long boards I use roller supports and support it myself on exit, when doing short boards I feed I feed one after the other, when doing thin boards I take shallow cuts and I don't seem to get a problem with snipe unless of course I don't plane the opposite face first :oops: :oops: :oops: and don't forget to wax the bed else you'll end up with allsorts of indentations in the job.

Steve, what's supposed to happen (I should try this with dial gauge) is that a single piece of work going in, passes under infeed roller, so table moves down a few thou on that side, levelling up when work is under both rollers, and then tilting slightly to the outfeed side when work leaves the infeed roller. Mimic by pressing down on infeed side of tble first, and then outfeed, so as to cause a few tho of wobble. If table fixed, then (movable) head can move in same way. Inning and outing of work puts an uneven load on either table or head. Continuous feed can't stop any snipe at beginning of first cut but should prevent all, until the end of last piece gets a bit of snipe on exit.

According to the actual layout of the rollers and degree of wear in teh planer, the head might just tilt a fraction to the infeed side under the load of the rollers driving the stuff across the table. Again, dial gauge will show what / if unwanted movement is actually taking place as work enters and leaves cutting area on a particular machine.

I guess that pulling up on the work as it enters and leaves (if not overdone!) forces the other end down on the table as it passes under the cutter block, which must help a bit too, (unless your table elevating mechanism is very worn!)

Latest posts

Back