Is Damson Wood any use for turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17033

Reaction score
Last year I had need to cut down 2 large damson trees in my garden, I kept all the main trunk wood, mostly 5" to 7" in diameter, I just wondered if anyone else had tried using it, and whether it'd be worth trying; or just lob it into my pizza oven as fuel

Dave

N oooooooooo...not the oven. Generally speaking fruit woods make fabulous turning. I confess Ive never tried it myself nor heard of it but in the main fruit woods are very interesting.

I suggest you try a few pieces.....down near the root ball will quickly tell you its quality

Damson and plum are beautiful timbers, or can be. They have various shades of pinks and purples in the grain.

I turned a 2" dia piece and it turned great, mine was very pale cream colour, it was from the trunk of the tree so not very old.

We had an old and diseased damson tree that I needed to take out for my new workshop - but managed to save some of the wood.
As R.O.B said, it is fantastic wood for turning and one of my feeble attempts is here: -

IMG_0710.jpg

Glynne

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 4,049
Yes if course it is. What wood is not suitable for turning?

Oh man...dont get me started on Eucalyptus!! Thats not grain...its the twister from hell. I've never known a wood so happy to split during drying. I think its the fastest growing hardwood on the planet if Im not mistaken.

henton49er":17qmw5jc said:
Dave,

I am more than happy to come over to Shrewsbury and relieve you of any surplus!! :lol: :wink: :wink: :lol:
and Im More Than happy To Bring My Chainsaw also
Regards
Bill

Bodrighy":2jpx8cky said:
Jacob":2jpx8cky said:
Yes if course it is. What wood is not suitable for turning?

Buddlia, english eucalyptus, may be others but those are the two I have tried and failed with.

Pete

You are quite right - buddlia is horrid - it appears to be a nice dense wood when first cut - but usually has a big hole up the middle and it splits worse than holly :-(

Back