iPods Experts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been considering buying the above so that I can store all my music and use it on my boat with a set of speakers that the iPod sits in.

I have been trying to find out if these type of speakers can be run off a 12volt battery system but can't find info anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I'm fairly sure the Istation is 12v as Jeremy Clarkson was using one in his car when they were galavanting round america. Although thinking about it, it might have been battery powered. Anyway, my dad has one, so I will check for you.

Waka

The iStation is...The unit can be powered either using AC mains adaptor (supplied) or from 6 x AA batteries, allowing you to use the device wherever you choose.
so I guess you could fudge around with wires and such and solder in directly but 12v will fry it (6 x 1.5v AA = 9v as you probably know). You might think about one of those low power inverters that generate AC and then use that...crazy to convert up to 240v and then back down again ....

As it happens I do have one of these sitting around doing nothing and so if you do opt for the iStation you're very welcome to try the inverter out.

I use an MP3 player plugged into a set of speakers that run off rechargable batteries , this way i'm not drawing power from the boats battery . I have trouble with charging my battery on the Thames because i'm always on tick over and stopping and starting at every lock . Im charging the battery from an outboard .

Waka

You can definitely run an iPod through the cigar lighter on a car, so, if the battery on a boat is the same as a car battery and produces the same sort of power all you need is the adapter for a car and plug it into the cigar lighter on your boat.
You do have a cigar lighter on your boat don't you, silly me, all Benetti yachts have one

Thanks Guys for the quick response.

I think the route will be to use a small inverter, as Roger says, its a shame to take it up only to take it down again. Thanks for the offer offer of an inverter Roger, what would be the size?

Dom, what makes you think a poor pensioner could afford a Benetti, shame on you, but yes even as a non smoker there is a ciggy lighter point.

I'm off to the boat tomorrow for a few days so I'll check things out.

Does your boat already have a radio/tape player? If so, it is very easy to rig in an iPod, powered by the cigar lighter and connected by a cassette thing (don't know what the technical term might be). You can get them from Apple or on eBay, and it works a treat.

Back