iPod Experts for Downloading.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well we eventually went and got the ipod yesterday (feel I'm moving into the electronic age) and have been slowly downloading our pile of CD's. Now to the problem, about 3/4's downloaded no problem at all but the other 1/4 was not recognised by the system. Now I could understand this if they were cheap or freebe but they are the good quaity type.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Waka
Those "cd's"......were they black and a little bit bigger than your regular cd's..And kinda grooved...... :lol:
Running for the door....
Philly :twisted:

Sorry Waka can't help.

Have you tried the Festool site they seem to have the answer to everything :twisted:

Also running for the door

Were the cds you had the problems with put on the computer prior to installing iTunes? I had just that problem yesterday with a friends new ipod. It appears that although the cds will transfer and the licence with them when ripped with media player the licence will not transfer to iTunes meaning that the cd will have to be ripped again by iTunes to get the licence transferred so that iTunes will allow itself to handle the files. The alternative of course is to remove the licensing during the first rip. But thats another story.
Cheers Mike

If the albums had been bought from the iTunes store they would not be downloadable unless the new iPod had been 'authorised'. You are able to authorise a total of five devices. In my experience iTunes asks if you want to authorise a new machine as soon as the need arises.

Philly":29r6oki0 said:
Waka
Those "cd's"......were they black and a little bit bigger than your regular cd's..And kinda grooved...... :lol:
Running for the door....
Philly :twisted:

Dom":29r6oki0 said:
Have you tried the Festool site they seem to have the answer to everything

Theres me trying to become an electronic junky and get in the grove and all you two can do is poke fun.

For your information I'd already checked the Festool site, they passed be to Bessey, also I checked the LN & LV sites as well, even went to Blue Spruce, but I'm still waiting for an answer from them. Got no joy so thought I'd check the forum.

For the helpful responses I thank Smudger and Mr, HID's tells me that she didn't register the ipod so mybe thats the reason, I'll try more downloads when this has been done.

Good purchase Waka

All the marketing hype aside the ipod is the best sounding mp3 player I have heard so far. I have a 5G (video) running "Rockbox"
http://www.rockbox.org/ which is a far better interface with tons more options and it bypasses the itunes program meaning all you have to do to get music on the ipod is drag and drop.
I use this program to convert my music files.
http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml

Waka":29qqlfsv said:
but the other 1/4 was not recognised by the system

Give a good strong blow into the CD drive, it might loosen a bit of dust - worked in the past for me

Waka

I'm not sure exactly where your problem is. Are you importing from existing CDs that you have or are you buying music online from the iTunes store?

If the former then do the iffy CDs play OK in the computer? If you are using iTunes to import the Cds then there is an option (at least there is on the mac version) to compensate for dodgy CDs albeit at the expense of a longer time to import.

Roger

Roger Sinden":2eyhlstj said:
Waka

I'm not sure exactly where your problem is. Are you importing from existing CDs that you have or are you buying music online from the iTunes store?

If the former then do the iffy CDs play OK in the computer? If you are using iTunes to import the Cds then there is an option (at least there is on the mac version) to compensate for dodgy CDs albeit at the expense of a longer time to import.

Roger

Roger

The CD's are mine and yes they play through the computer. Going to give them all another try.

Another thing to chek might be that the file format you're using to import the cds is compatible with iTunes. Windows media player will rip wma format by default iirc but I'm not sure that this is compatible with iTunes.
Mike

mr":12zcjcs0 said:
Another thing to chek might be that the file format you're using to import the cds is compatible with iTunes. Windows media player will rip wma format by default iirc but I'm not sure that this is compatible with iTunes.
Mike

But surely if that were the case then none of them would be imported?

Waka...what program are you using to import the CDs?

Hi Waka,

Are you saying that the CD's aren't recognised, i.e. won't download at all, or that the software won't recognise the actual CD and find the track names and CD title?
I know most software packages use GraceNote on line for this, and there are times it can't find a particular album if its quite obscure. (My musical tastes certainly baffle it sometimes!)
On occasions like this, you have to input the data yourself. On GraceNote, a lot of it is down to the general public updating thier data base so the obscure stuff gets there eventually.
Not sure if this helps!

Andy

What Im saying is that the cds if already ripped as WMA s may be problematical to import to iTunes. I've had just this problem. iTunes claims to have done the conversion and then you discover 2932 errors (in my case) meaning you have to rip the lot again alas.
Cheers Mike

andy king":mzv8z3w9 said:
. On GraceNote, a lot of it is down to the general public updating thier data base so the obscure stuff gets there eventually.

Unless it's classical music in which case the end result is a dogs dinner :twisted:

Guys

Thanks for al the tips, we are still in the process of trying, some are now downloading and some are not. Just as a point, all the CD's are classical music. Will let you know how we get on.

Bit of a blind shot but wasn't there an issue with some Sony CDs at one time...rootkits, things like that? To prevent copying CD's ..exactly what the problem you're having??

May I suggest that your CD has Microsoft DMA on it. Some CD players with DIgital Milleneum controls on it will not read non compliant CDs especially if they are old. You can rip your CDs on another computer put them on a stick and bring them into iTunes and they will register.

Unfortunately some CD manufacturers were suckered into this and Microsoft always want to autoinstall the software in all the Windows versions out there. In some cases if you have applied the MS "fix" the CD player the status cannot be reversed.

Back