IoT devices, can you rely on them.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One word. Or two if you care to add your own expletive.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Food for thought there Chas. I recall reading that a car hire company (top end sports etc etc) in America had all there cars fitted with a remote disabling device after several were not returned by the customers , makes me wonder if these sort of devices will become more widely used by manufacturers of all kinds of things in the future.

Who needs script kiddies and Russian hackers when business can be the bad guy when there's a financial motive?

I've a feeling this is inaccurate reporting, or at least misleading. If the device connects to the internet, then there's likely to be a server(or "broker" if using MQTT), so all the company have to do is block that particular "client". So "bricking" the device in a way, but more analagous to disconnecting your mobile phone.

I work in IT and even I think they're a waste of time at the moment. There's a chance in 10 years time that they'll be stable and decent, but for now it's a lot of hype. Avoid like the plague.

I'm currently testing my DIY homebrew temperature control. The controller is, to be fair, autonomous, so that(in theory) it will still work if the WiFi link or the internet goes down, but it is useful to be able to graph the behaviour(and check the temperature or change the temperature range from my phone). Here are the graphs:
I't not leading-edge of life-saving, but I like to tinker.

Attachments

• brewtemp.JPG
    brewtemp.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 509
  • ambient.JPG
    ambient.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 509
  • heater.JPG
    heater.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 509
  • rssi.jpg
    rssi.jpg