Investing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christoph clark

Established Member
Reaction score
As the recession hits home the question is where to invest. Property prices are falling, art and antiques could be intersting but I know nothing about them, the banks interest rate is very low and investing in retail could leave you with nothing.
I see GOLD as the way forward and some analysts predicting it could reach 2000 dollars next year. A the moment it is 814 dollars.
I have recently updated my portfolio and investeted some money in gold bullion and gold mining shares.
Centamin
Peter Harbro
LyxorGold Bul Secs
Avocet mining
Yamana gold

I have included a capture of the price before opening this morning 28 nov 08 and it wil be interesting to check back in a few months to see if I have made a good investment.
Screeny20081128082759.jpg

:D :D

Mr. Darling said he was introducing a new savings scheme;
Every pound you invest he will add another 50p

The sparks should start flying any minute now :wink:

devonwoody":mye51np5 said:

The sparks should start flying any minute now :wink:

Was thet not for people on low income :?

Cant make end meet but thet are supposed to save as well :?

Sounds he is economising as well then. :)

Dunno, but if the interest rate is low and its a term type saving I dont expect it will be any good.

devonwoody":1cb6vhr3 said:

Yes I saw that but have this feeling it's going to be one of those things that you save a few quid a month in with a low maximum amount you are permitted to invest.

Misterfish

The problem with investing is, whoever you give your money too has to make more from it than they are giving back to you. This is why bank interest rates are currently low - because the guaranteed return from an investment is low. As you increase the risk of the investment, you increase the return. You also need to consider the length of time you wish to invest for - you will not make alot in the short term without extremely high risk, but in the long term risk of the same investment diminishes somewhat.

Ignoring fixed rate investments with guaranteed returns (ie savings accounts, govenrment bonds and the like) you are left with property, shares, commodities and some niche markets such as antiques and art. The key to all of these is to buy low, sell high. Ignoring art and antiques, where initial outlay needs to be substantial to get good examples, for the small investor you are left with shares, commodities and property. Over the long term all of these will make money if you spread your portfolio. Even buying property now, with the market still dropping, will make money in the long term since the market will rise again as people always need houses (limited space, not enough stock etc). You will probably see an immediate loss if you did buy now because the market has not bottomed out yet, but if you wait it will peak above its current position eventually. Downside to property is it is not a liquid asset - it takes a long time to turn it into cash.
Looking at shares, share markets are currently down at least a third in the last 12 months. Now is a good time to buy shares - they are cheap. Again in the short term there will be some volatility, possibly further large falls, but as the recession ends and shares rise you will make money - despite all the doom and gloom in the news there has been relatively little from pension funds complaining. This is because shares will rise again and pensions are long term investments. The other beauty of shares is that you can spread the risk of an individual company doing badly by backing the entire FTSE (or share index of your choice) or a range of companies. ie minimising the risk. For shares - watch closely those of advertising companies. Advertising is the first thing to be hit in a recession and the first thing to pick up as a recession ends. If you see them rising the market is probably past bottoming out.
Finally comodities, including gold. Gold is seen as a safe haven, but only in times of hardship. Falls are minimal, but gains in the good times are low compared to other indices such as shares - which is why Gordon Brown sold alot of our reserves - he felt the cash could be better spent/invested in the good times. Gold is safe, but it will drop when greater gains are perceived as being available elsewhere. Do not expect it to keep rising for ever. Other commodities depend on the recession ending and there may be large gains to be made at the right time. If an economy picks up it needs raw material - buying shares in copper mining, or even buying copper itself, will see a return as demand increases, but it will take time for the investment to pay off. Same is true of silver, platinum or any other raw material that demand is currently low for due to the current economic climate.

As with any form of investment, blancing risk and reward is key, and outside of guaranteed returns be prepared for losses as well as gains. Forget about the profits of the big boys in the city that appear on the news, they have millions of other peoples money to play with. For the average man in the street the difference between a 3% and a 6% return is not huge, and for most people certainly not worth the risk of losing the investment capital in the first place.

Steve.

I suspect that the best investment that most people could make at the moment is paying down debt as quickly as possible.

Other than that I'm stocking up on timber. I've started buying 25% more than I need for every job; over a couple of years I will build up six months supply without really noticing the cost.

If the recession gets really bad this could prove invaluable for me.

Dan

Just under 3 months my first real update.
Gold was 814 dolars now 941 dollars = 15.6% up
Centamin was 35 now 52 = 48.5%
Peter Harbro was 383 now 545 =42.3%
LyxorGold Bul Secs was 5175 now 6517 = 20.6%
Avocet mining was 66 now 82 = 19.5%
Yamana gold was 370 now 632 = 70.8%

Much better than 1% in the bank.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A healthy return so far. I hope you manage to beat all the other speculators and pull out at the right time.

What goes up must come down. (unless it lands on something ie. a hill , analogous to an stable trend)
Whats at the bottom can only go up (where's the bottom? I can guess that closer than, the skys the limit with gold)

So with regular shares at rock bottom and property not far behind. Investors without the herd mindset are looking at investments differently.

But It's fun if its with spare cash and better odds than the lottery.

How little can you expect a broker to purchase for you these days andsell?

So what is a minimum realistic kitty to expect to play with?

I've got some building society deposits that are practically worthless, was waiting for privatisation, but not confident anymore on a good situation.

Buying shares should cost around 8 pounds per deal plus stamp duty . Watch out for the spread which can be as much as 20%. The spread is the difference between the buy price and the sell price.

My tips for today are. :idea:
SOLG Solomon 11.5
NGL Norseman 10 I see this as a higher risk
KGI Kirkland lake 367
GDP Goldplat 13.25
CLF Cluff gold 42.5
VGM Vatukoula 0.95 have gone up by could be interesting ?

PURE Purecircle 172

Devonwoody,

Stock and shares in an ISA wrapper are worth considering. Standard funds are simple with 1 -1.5% fees and tax free. If the fund is following the ftse, when/if the stock prices recover you should make around 25%.
Any amount up to £7200 can be put into the ISA in a year. So any spare cash could be worth having a dabble with.

christoph clark":2ma9e6kz said:
Just under 3 months my first real update.
Gold was 814 dolars now 941 dollars = 15.6% up
Centamin was 35 now 52 = 48.5%
Peter Harbro was 383 now 545 =42.3%
LyxorGold Bul Secs was 5175 now 6517 = 20.6%
Avocet mining was 66 now 82 = 19.5%
Yamana gold was 370 now 632 = 70.8%

Much better than 1% in the bank.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How does that stack up after currency conversion (to EUR for you?)

Mr. Clarke up there (3 post above) is not hanging on to his gains for 5 years, he must be moving like lightening, quoting his figures.

So how low will a broker accept an order (bearing in mind there is an £8 pound charge which is 8% if you are only purchasing a hundred pounds worth each time) ?

Hi all I have been away for a while but just an update of how my tips are doing.

Original tips
Centamin was 35 now 87 = 148.5%
Peter Harbro was 383 now 614 =60.3%
LyxorGold Bul Secs was 5175 now 5589 = 8%
Avocet mining was 66 now 76 = 15.1%
Yamana gold was 370 now 545 = 47.2%

Tips from Post Feb 13th 2009
SOLG Solomon 11.5 now 10.75= 6.5% LOSS
NGL Norseman 10 now 36.5 = 265%
KGI Kirkland lake 367 now 482.5 = 31.4%
GDP Goldplat 13.25 now 9.8 = 26% LOSS
CLF Cluff gold 42.5 now 50 = 17.6 %
VGM Vatukoula 0.95 now 1.15 = 21%
PURE Purecircle 172 now 242.5 = 40.9%

Its sure you have losses as well but Norseman was a big winner at 265% gain in 6 months

My tips for today are::

SOLG Solomon , I like this share and waiting news 10.75
MWG Modern Water 51.5
SHG Shanta Gold 6
HZM Horizonte Min 7.75
psk Prostrakan 104
bgc Btg 177

:lol: :lol:

Back