Investing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm!!!!

Bought Barclays at 89p now 298......
Bought HSBC at 168 now.....545
Bought Standard Chartered at 756 now....1351

BUT big risk at the time ( last Feb) when all banks were on their uppers and shares in the toilet.

Still feels risky but with 25000 of each I'm wondering when to bail out before a crash in price again.

Alan

beech1948":2svn2s1b said:
Hmmm!!!!

Bought Barclays at 89p now 298......
Bought HSBC at 168 now.....545
Bought Standard Chartered at 756 now....1351

BUT big risk at the time ( last Feb) when all banks were on their uppers and shares in the toilet.

Still feels risky but with 25000 of each I'm wondering when to bail out before a crash in price again.

Alan

Now that is a true Drive-By Gloat

:shock:

Tell me I just got my sums wrong.... Before extreme jealousy sets in..... :lol:

The company I work for (a US bank) had a massive drop in shares - some people here bought shares at the lowest price it hit (I couldn't free up any cash at the time :( ) and it's currently got to about 500% return. Thing is, you can only do it if you can afford to risk that volume of cash - must be great if you're in that position though!

BradNaylor":2lan93tv said:
I suspect that the best investment that most people could make at the moment is paying down debt as quickly as possible.

Other than that I'm stocking up on timber. I've started buying 25% more than I need for every job; over a couple of years I will build up six months supply without really noticing the cost.

If the recession gets really bad this could prove invaluable for me.

Dan

I'm with Dan on this one - clear the debt\s as quickly as possible that way one minimises the cost of living and should the unexpected happen, the effects won't be as drastic if you don't have to find money for x, y & z.

Hi to Chris Clark,
An interesting post and thanks for the topic.

I would be interested to hear your views on the investment outlook for the Latin American and Indonesian sectors for the coming 12 months or so.

For info - my investment portfolio lies more towards OEICs, ITs and the like rather than specific shares. My risk tolerance is high.

Regards
Dave

davebray":goo5pu5f said:
Hi to Chris Clark,
An interesting post and thanks for the topic.

I would be interested to hear your views on the investment outlook for the Latin American and Indonesian sectors for the coming 12 months or so.

For info - my investment portfolio lies more towards OEICs, ITs and the like rather than specific shares. My risk tolerance is high.

Regards
Dave

No offence to Chris Clark but have you never heard of boiler room scams or the like? Do you think punters are fleeced on the 1st deal? Or "allowed" to make money on the 1st couple and then wham - huge losses.

Mods - I think posts where people are offering investment tips should not be allowed. General discussione fine - but outright tips no. There are gulliable folk out there who wouldn't realise that the 1st 2 or 3 sets of tips will make them money (but not a lot as they are cautious) but on the 3rd set - they will get so greedy that caution will be thrown to the wind and the last deal will financially bankrupt them - typical boiler room punter behaviour!

Hi Dibs
Thanks for the advice but I am aware of boiler room scams, share 'pumping' and the like; I was chairman of a shares investment club for a good few years until I moved to a different company.
All I am looking for is somebody else's point of view it does not mean I will necessarily accept any point of view so offered. But I do like to hear other people's opinions; I find them useful to possibly give me a different slant on things.
You can rest assured that before I make any hard investments I do the necessary research first and consult many authorative resources.

Cheers
Dave

Dave

It's good that you are aware - others may not be so fortunate.

As I stated in my previous email - there isn't any problem with general discussions on financial or other matters. It gives people a variety of perspectives and extends their own knowledge. As for other people's opinions - anonymous opinions (which is what the OP's are) - on matters which have financial consequences, that's entirely your perogative.

However, a line needs to be drawn at the posting of share tips and recommendations for folk to purchase certain shares. I am in no way having a dig at Chris Clark.

As for rest - don't worry, I could sleep for the GB sleep team, in 2012 - starting today.

Dibs :wink:

p.s. Mods - would one of you comment on the posting of share tips please?

Dibs-h":c30z5ycv said:
Mods - I think posts where people are offering investment tips should not be allowed. General discussione fine - but outright tips no. There are gulliable folk out there who wouldn't realise that the 1st 2 or 3 sets of tips will make them money (but not a lot as they are cautious) but on the 3rd set - they will get so greedy that caution will be thrown to the wind and the last deal will financially bankrupt them - typical boiler room punter behaviour!

for what its worth i agree with dibs, mind you anyone whjo takes financial advice from a woodworking forum is asking for trouble ... if you wanted a kitchen building would you consult a stock broker or a cabinet fitter :shock:

that aside i agree with dan - before you even think of investing pay all your debts down and if you are self employed buy all the equipment/ materials you need to see you through a quiet spell.

I have a close friend who 'plays the markets' and who does pretty well (very well actually). I once asked him if he would be willing to give me advice and he said 'Sure, as soon as you show me that your mortgage and debts are paid off and can prove to me that you don't need the money you want to invest'.

I haven't played the markets.

Brendan

BMac":3gk5k4w8 said:
'...as soon as you show me that your mortgage and debts are paid off and can prove to me that you don't need the money you want to invest'

Sound advice. In fact that's what I did and it proved to be rather profitable. I sold up a few years ago and I still watch the market, but investment priorities change as you grow older so I doubt I will play the markets again.

For myself (ie without my mod hat on :) ), I don't have a problem with individuals discussing stocks and shares. After all, there are plenty of forums where that's exactly what people do discuss. I would have a problem with someone offering the sort of financial advice that is regulated by the FSA.

No specific advise from me but in general don't rule out financial investments. Most of us do it via our pensions where we pay others to make the gambles and we don't even consider there to be any risk! It's how we are conditioned.

The advice to pay of debts is valid. ONLY if the interest due is higher than what you can get putting the money to good use elsewhere.

e.g. Someone with a student loan of 10K with a fortunate windfall of 10K would be better off buying a house using the 10k as deposit. Or even putting it in a well managed fund.

Best investment you can make, is in your own skills and knowledge. Asking others is a good way to do this but make sure they are proper experts before blindly following their advice - most aren't.

I think knowledge is all good and discussions definetly enrichen but my issue is with tips to buy specific shares. Now if the ar5e fell out of the banking sector (again) and they were seriously under-priced in terms of assets and people were suggesting it might be a good time to buy XYZ & Robbings Gits Bank Plc or Duffbank UK Plc - that's plainly different from "here buy these A, B & C" shares along with index codes - shares which hardly any of us have heard of.

That isn't discussions - it's probably one of the following

1. share pumping\manipulation,
2. insider trading
3. Lord knows.

I am in no way, shape or fashion suggesting that people don't discuss stuff - just don't be telling folk to buy specific shares, no-ones heard of (along with index codes) and think that's just having a discussion.

I've said my piece - that mods can make of it what they will.

I'm sorry guys - I seem to have opened a can of worms here!

I didn't ask for investment advice; I was merely looking for an opinion on the outlook for the geographical investment sectors of Latin America and Indonesia.
All posters are dead right it is better to pay debt off first and invest in your own work and skills before investing in equities etc. I suppose I am reasonably fortunate in that I have no debt, am not self-employed, my wife is employed, we have no expensive vices, the last sprog is almost of our hands and the household outgoings are within tolerance.

I enjoy this forum - it never ceases to amaze me just how many extremely knowledgeable folk there are on here from a wide variety of backgrounds with an equally deep knowledge of many topics and subjects. Which is why I am quite happy to canvass opinions. As for kitchen building - well I built my own and when I've finished with my daughter's house refurb I will be due to build another one for swimbo. :roll:

Now I am going to open another can of worms - I think the biggest scams are, in no particular order, (1) this government (2) the next government (3) the EU (4) pension fund offices (5) commission driven IFAs (6) local government etc etc. otherwise the list will go on and on :) .

I've said enough methinks so will now shut the h£ll up.
Cheers
Dave

davebray":3ipd0ke3 said:
Now I am going to open another can of worms - I think the biggest scams are, in no particular order, (1) this government (2) the next government (3) the EU (4) pension fund offices (5) commission driven IFAs (6) local government etc etc. otherwise the list will go on and on :) .

I've said enough methinks so will now shut the h£ll up.
Cheers
Dave

Good idea, cos politics & religion are banned on this forum :eek: :)

Back