introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustjon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi! all, as I am new to woodwork and new to forums I hope that I shall gain some useful info about working with wood and improve my hobby. I hope to learn a little about using forums also.
I have bought some oak board with the bark on, however I was told that most of the first few inches of sapwood cannot be used and is waste. Is this so and why.

Hi Jon, and Welcome.
Sapwood is generally regarded as waste because it doesn't look as nice as the heartwood. It's not that it cannot be used, you may simply prefer not to. If it not seen then it's less of a problem.
Don't forget to look out for woodworm. The sapwood is full of lovely sugary sweetness, so is prone. If it is kiln-dried, any bugs will have been dealt with, but if it is air-dried, there is a much higher risk.
CHeers
Steve

Welcome to the forum Jon. Looks like you're quite close to me as I live in South Manchester.

I'm sure you'll learn a lot here. I certainly have.

Steve Maskery":27jmcged said:
Hi Jon, and Welcome.
Sapwood is generally regarded as waste because it doesn't look as nice as the heartwood. It's not that it cannot be used, you may simply prefer not to. If it not seen then it's less of a problem.
Don't forget to look out for woodworm. The sapwood is full of lovely sugary sweetness, so is prone. If it is kiln-dried, any bugs will have been dealt with, but if it is air-dried, there is a much higher risk.
CHeers
Steve
Wot Steve said...and stay away from sapwood :) - Rob

Thanks steve for your promt reply, and welcome. I bought the wood not too far from where you are, Grantham.
I find it almost impossible to find a local hardwood stockist that will sell to the genral public.
And thanks for the welcome from J smith and Rob.

woodbloke":1rdb6utr said:
Steve Maskery":1rdb6utr said:
Hi Jon, and Welcome.
CHeers
Steve
Wot Steve said...and stay away from sapwood :) - Rob

Yeah.. Don't be a sap!
Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your time. You'll waste a lot of it here, and pick up some good stuff on the way.

John :D

Back