Introduction and Question on Jointing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkS

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for awhile as I've started down the slippery slope. It's difficult to get the depth of information on many hand tools on this side of the pond so I've enjoyed and used the information from your forum. If you've specifically addressed this before I apologize but I couldn't find it. I've used the method of stopped cuts on each end that David C advocates for jointing and found it effective. It seems intuitive that this approach will only work for shorter boards, perhaps twice the length of the plane. If this is true, what is this length? Are there other equally effective approaches to jointing longer boards? Thanks for all of your help

Well, long before Jet's ppl managed to get boards straight, and without too much fuss.

One thing you can do is get a wooden jointer; they tend to be quite a bit longer then a metal one.

Another thing you will find is that as you do more and more with David C's method, you will get better and better and distributing your weight, etc. and it will become more 'natural', to the point you can get a pretty straight edge on a very long board even without the stopped cut method.

Last point: The longer the board, the more room for error. A 6' (2m or so, Jeff) does not need to be straight to within 0.005"; it will flex plenty, plus post jointing movement over that length will be well in excess of 0.005" anyway.

Once you get some practice on the shorter boards, you'll find the long boards not to much fuss.

Back