intro

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, this is actually my second post but i just wanted to say Hi, to everyone and thanks for such a great forum, i have been picking your brains/posts for a couple of months now on pretty much every subject as it is about 15 years since i touched real wood, i have been a builder for the past 25 years but stopped work due to an operation on my wrist a year ago that went wrong, so all i can do now is potter.
Anyway i am loving the woodwork especially working with hardwoods for the first time.

i have set up a workshop from scratch by building a 9' x 17' workshop and buying a few tools: -
perform jointer (still undecided)
perform thicknesser (good)
perform bench drill (not bad, has a very slight wobble on the chuck )
perform wet n dry grinder (good)
quite a few hand tools
2 cheapo routers off ebay (cheap)
1x rubbish stanley no.4 :evil: (pathetic paperwieght )
performance circular saw (very good)
performance power 12" radial mitre saw (very good) took 6" back after 2 years 360 days and got a straight swap) :p
micrometer (ebay, very good)
moisture meter (the westfilia one) nothing to compare it with
then it gets better
veritas low angle jack + 38 degree blade blade (excellent)
Mkii honing guide
and just got my triton router today for the table again excellent, what a difference
japanese pull saw (love it)

a tip for anyone starting out. Buy the best you can afford as it will cost you more to buy cheap rubbish in the long run.

I have made a router table, workbench, and a table saw with a £20 performance circular saw, and yes before you slate me it works a treat is totally safe and has all the guards and is perfectly accurate :wink:
Oh and for T track i used double glazing friction hinges, i'll share that with you another day but they work and they are free :D anyway here are two attempts at testing everything out
first one doesn't look as good as it does in the flesh, looks like a school project :?
705.JPG

this one as you can see is half finished its oak and wenga (keeps chipping my plane blade :evil: ) it will have a walnut burl inlay with wenga splines on the corners
711.JPG

anyway sorry for the long post and once again thanks for all your help. :wink:[/img]

just got quite a lot of veneeers from ebay, and they sent me a load of extras free :D veneering is another new one on me :?

Suprasport

Welcome to the forum.

There are beautiful boxes you have posted, joining detailos would be good, also some pic's of the WS, we all like to see what others have done so we can copy the good ideas.

Welcome on board. Cracking stuff. Love the sculptural affect you've achieved on the first box. Any more piccies? Hope you enjoy the forum, I've found it very friendly and helpful. Some serious knowledge resides within. Cheers

hi guys, thanks for the welcome.
sorry about the WIP pics it was more a matter of what can i do with this bit of wood and sort of got carried away, i am going to put my camera in the workshop to remind myself :(

Just found some other pics
this is the first box (forgot about this ) it was from some twisted and warped 2" oak lavers gave me as my first ever bit of hardwood :lol: and its still moving after 2 weeks in the house
717.JPG

another couple of pics of the second first one :?
715.JPG

716.JPG

i will take some more of the latest box and put it in another thread

Suprasport,

Cracking boxes for this early in your woodworking career! It looks as though you have a great sense of design - probably the most important thing a woodworker needs.

Paul.J":3555f13v said:
Welcome.

Were all the joints cut by hand :?:
Paul.J.

awwwww thanks guys. :oops:
cross between mitre saw and tidying by hand, the box joints were done on the router as well as the hinges, i wanted to play with my new toys, but lid on the newest one was by hand 8)

Welcome to the forum, it's great because people are very helpful and constructive too.

That first box is great, as everybody has said the sculpting is great. Did it take long? You should play more with that skill as could look awesome on a larger piece too.

G

Back