Internet Explorer - Another security flaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyW

Established Member
Reaction score
For those of you using Internet Explorer there seems to be yet another security flaw.

Internet Explorer security flaw could also be exploited by criminals seeking to steal people's bank details, private data and identities. "That's a big fear right now," said Paul Ferguson of Trend Micro security researcher, warning of "mayhem" if fraudsters succeed.

Telegraph Article Here
Or if you prefer The BBC

Cheers :D
Tony

I got fed up with IE years ago it just seemed so slow, Ive been using opera ever since and cant fault it. Its a shame problems like this keep cropping up because im guessing the people who would be most at risk from this flaw, wouldnt know what to do about it or an alternative.

Now's your chance to chuck IE to one side and download Firefox to use as your default browser. I've been using it for several years and I have had no problems with it, nor have there been security alerts like there are with IE.

Seems like every time Microsoft fix a vulnerability in IE then another one pops up. It must be about the most insecure browser there is.

I've also been using Firefox for some years now without problems.

Very occasionally I come across a website that doesn't work with anything but IE but they're so rare it's not worth worrying about.

skelph":2fbxzfzd said:
Now's your chance to chuck IE to one side and download Firefox to use as your default browser. I've been using it for several years and I have had no problems with it, nor have there been security alerts like there are with IE.

Seems like every time Microsoft fix a vulnerability in IE then another one pops up. It must be about the most insecure browser there is.
Don't get too complacent, I've been dealing with a machine this last weekend that that will have to have the disk formatted to rid it of a problem that has hijacked all browsers including firefox and safari.

I believe the boot sector of the hard drive has been infected and blocks/disables all virus suits and anti spy software.

Hello all

Tony's post about IE prompted me to install Firefox.

All seems OK except for the fonts it displays.

IE7 and Firefox are set up on my machine to allow websites to choose their own fonts.

However, displaying any given page in Firefox results in a different font being used to the one used for that page in IE7.

Having used IE for years, I've got used to the fonts it displays and would like to keep them.

Any ideas how to do this?

Cheers

Dave

CHJ":htt1ydhv said:
Don't get too complacent, I've been dealing with a machine this last weekend that that will have to have the disk formatted to rid it of a problem that has hijacked all browsers including firefox and safari.
IMO wise words it is very easy to be lulled into a false sense of security and believe that other browsers will not be affected. I am fairly sure that all have their weakness which as yet have not been exploited by the writers of malware due to the target market being the bigger population of IE users.

Deejay":1oqykify said:
However, displaying any given page in Firefox results in a different font being used to the one used for that page in IE7.

Having used IE for years, I've got used to the fonts it displays and would like to keep them.

In Firefox goto Tools / Options and click on the Content tab. Select the font you want from the drop down.

Hope that helps

Tony

Hello
I am using IE but have been told by friends that the new google "Chrome" works good. Is anyone using chrome and if so, how do you like it?
Thanks
Travis

I installed chrome when it first became available there was some issues with the EULA but i think theyve been sorted now,It was quite quick but it just wasnt enough to draw me away from opera. If your thinking of giving it ago or any browser for that matter i advise against storing passwords etc.
Heres a study on password security and tbh none of the browsers score high.
http://www.info-svc.com/news/2008/12-12/

Further to my comments above may I pass on a word of advice.

If you have a PC with an OEM version of Windows installed, make sure you have created a bootable backup CD of the system, or at least a CD/DVD copy of the system i386 Folder.

The above machine referred to had this vital recovery-repair folder corrupted enforcing the purchase of a new operating system CD.

If you know how or the confidence to look up how, I recommend you make a slip-streamed CD of the operating system to it's latest Service Pack standard. There can be problems with attempting to repair a system from original disks which have differing file versions to updated machines.

Thanks 1384
I am now afraid to even get on the Net :( :(
What's a mother to do?? :oops:
I am not even going to wish a Merry Christmas to all the cyber thieves :evil: :evil: :evil:
Can't we all just get along.

Thanks for the website--It did open my eyes.

Travis

Travis":67pcusy1 said:
Thanks 1384
I am now afraid to even get on the Net :( :(
What's a mother to do?? :oops:
I am not even going to wish a Merry Christmas to all the cyber thieves :evil: :evil: :evil:
Can't we all just get along.

Thanks for the website--It did open my eyes.

Travis

The site only tested the password storing facilities (you know the bit that pops up asking if you want to save your log in details) Using the web has always been the same though stick to sites you know or have good reviews and you wont go far wrong and if anything looks suspicious leave well alone.

Only this morning i got an email that made it through the spam filter saying there was unauthorised use of my paypal account click here to sort it out. The whole thing looked so legit! But i never access an account through a link, So i loaded paypal in another tab logged in and sure enough nothing was wrong, just a scam email.

It is easy sometimes to see how people that dont know better would have been caught out by it though.

CHJ":1pmugg7q said:
skelph":1pmugg7q said:

I believe the boot sector of the hard drive has been infected and blocks/disables all virus suits and anti spy software.

Firefox and Safari are OK on my Mac :wink:

TonyW":3at5zmdy said:
Deejay":3at5zmdy said:

In Firefox goto Tools / Options and click on the Content tab. Select the font you want from the drop down.

Hope that helps

Tony

Hello Tony

You can do this if you override the option to allow pages to choose their own fonts, but the range of fonts available doesn't seem to include whatever is used in IE.

I would think that the instruction to use a particular font is sent out from the web page, but if that font isn't found in the browser software some sort of default is used instead.

Like lots of software it's just a bit annoying. Thanks anyway

Dave

The only problem with the MS advice to put security to high is that you then cannot down load firefox or use webmail as active scripting is disabled.

newt":dd08jrb4 said:
The only problem with the MS advice to put security to high is that you then cannot down load firefox or use webmail as active scripting is disabled.

Nor use the spell checker.

The trouble is so much web content relies on some form of active scripting to function.

I fear it will never get any better, as long as web content needs bells and whistles to display ever more fancy content there will be someone out there warped enough to misuse the system, just as mentally deranged individuals deliberately set fires in a tinder dry forest area.

In the early days we used to write dozens of macros to manipulate MS word to do the things it now has built into hard coding. I think that scripting language was one of the first to get exploited for 'nasties' and had to be blocked/disabled.

PCPlus and later PC answers published code snippets for such and quite happily publish anything you submitted, often without checking.

They did a great job of encouraging software manipulation as a hobby.

Deejay":qiux7nsk said:
I would think that the instruction to use a particular font is sent out from the web page, but if that font isn't found in the browser software some sort of default is used instead.
AFAIK you are correct in that instructions for a particular font is sent from the web page.

Just checked my version of IE6 Internet Options / General Tab/ Fonts.
The fonts you select are displayed on Web pages that do not specify text font
My basic settings:
Web page font = Times New Roman, Plain text font Courier New

In Firefox
Content tab - Fonts & Colours = Times New Roman Size 16.
Click on Advanced and check mark "Allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my selections above"

Hope that may be of some help

Tony

Back